Full-Time Position (40 hours/week)
The Ponce de Leon Inlet Light Station was completed in 1887 and continues to serve as an active private aid to navigation. The Light Station is one of the most complete and authentic light stations in the country and is a National Historic Landmark. The 175 foot lighthouse tower is open for climbing. There are three original keeper dwellings and their outbuildings, a modern structure that houses a world-class collection of Fresnel lenses, a gift shop/entrance building, a modern administration and storage building, and a vending and restroom facility. The museum's collection includes nearly 10,000 objects, photographs, documents, and library materials. Museum exhibits include Lighthouse Service history, the Lighthouse Service Aviation Division history, related local and regional history, keepers and families who served at the Ponce Inlet
Lighthouse, related Native American history, and Life-Saving Service history. There is a full program of on-site and outreach educational activities.
The assistant curator/registrar works directly with the museum's curator and serves as the primary registrar for the museum as well as performing other duties as assigned.
Job responsibilities include:
- Maintain, manage, and update the museum's PastPerfect software as needed.
- Receive, photograph, catalog, research, and prepare for display or storage all objects, photographs, archival documents, and library materials entering the museum's collection. Manage all paper and digital documentation related to accessions, loans, transfers, and other collections-related transactions.
- Organize all incoming periodicals.
- Maintain the museum's library and library card catalog.
- Perform basic cleaning and conservation of artifacts as needed.
- Maintain museum collection records as directed by the curator, and perform an annual inventory of the collection.
- Produce occasional copy for the museum's quarterly journal and monthly online newsletter.
- Carry out weekly inspections of all exhibits and other tasks as assigned by the curator.
- Assist in planning, implementation, and oversight of all restoration projects.
- Conduct oral presentations related to lighthouse history and museum operations
- Public relation duties to include radio and television interviews as required
- Minimum of four year college undergraduate degree in museum studies, history, art history, fine art, or related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Understanding of museum registration procedures.
- Proficiency in PastPerfect Museum Software and a minimum of 3 years current experience using this program.
- Minimum of five years museum experience as a registrar or curatorial assistant.
- Familiarity with Florida history.
- Proficiency in Microsoft software, basic office machines, and digital photography.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Willingness to learn and advance.
The Ponce De Leon Inlet Lighthouse Preservation Association offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees. Employee eligibility requirements will be discussed at time of interview. Benefits include:
- Vacation Time
- Sick Leave
- Health/Vision/Dental Group Insurance Plan (Voluntary Enrollment)
- Life Insurance (Voluntary Enrollment)
- Matching 401k Plan (Voluntary Enrollment)
Email cover letter, resume, and three letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.