Job Title: Associate Director for Collections (Chief Registrar)
Job ID: 40651
Location: Sarasota, FL
The Ringling is a center for art and history, situated on 66 magnificent acres on the shores of Sarasota Bay. It is built on the remarkable legacy of circus entrepreneur, collector of art and financier John Ringling and his wife Mable.
The Ringling inspires visitors with an acclaimed collection of Old Master paintings, explores with them the diverse cultures and art of Asia, delights them with the story of the American circus as told through the first American circus museum as well as the world's largest circus model, and transports them to the Roaring Twenties during a tour of the magnificent Ca' d'Zan mansion.
The Ringling is also committed to exhibiting the work of an emerging community of living artists whose work moves beyond traditional practice and features dynamic and engaging contemporary visual and performing arts, including a diverse roster of theater, music, dance and film.
The Ringling is the State Art Museum of Florida. Affiliated with Florida State University, it is one of the largest university art centers in the nation.
For more information please visit www.ringling.org
- Responsible for oversight of Collections Management: Registration, Exhibition Design/Preparation, and Conservation.
- Develops, interprets, and implements associated policies and procedures. Develops and monitors budgets and emergency plans. Serves on Disaster Planning and Response Team. Serves as liaison to the Collections Committee of the Board.
- Oversees coordination logistics for national and international traveling exhibitions and loans. Monitors climate control; environment; IPM. Maintains objects files; Oversees photography collection. Monitors registration system and collections' data integrity. Oversees the Rights and Reproductions Department. Regularly uses motorized vehicles in daily work.
- Oversees installation scheduling and Exhibition Design & Preparation budget. Assists in planning and exhibition installation. Monitors gallery maintenance schedule.
- Contributes to education mission by supporting and/or supervising internships and fellowships; tours; lectures; training. Responds to scholars' requests for information related to collections or exhibits.
- Master's degree and four years of experience or a Bachelor's degree and six years of experience. Background/education in Collections Management, Museum Studies, or Art History.
- Experience communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
- Experience developing and implementing policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Experience training and supervising employees.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply the processes, procedures and methods used in museum operations in compliance with applicable governing entities such as the American Association of Museums.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
- Experience with applicable computer applications and basic computer functions to include Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices of collections management to include proper handling, installation, preservation and/or maintenance.
- Experience working with The Museum System (TMS) and other applicable computer programs
- Experience as a Museum Registrar
- Knowledge of art exhibition design and gallery preparation
- Advanced art handling experience to include knowledge of current object storage and environmental management
- Knowledge of contracts and insurance related to traveling exhibitions and loans
May be required to travel (nationally or internationally) to serve as a Museum courier. Assignments are based on the needs of the Museum. Courier training and certification is required prior to the incumbent serving in this capacity.
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at (941) 359-5700 ext. 2605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated Salary Range
Anticipate hiring in the range of high $60,000s to low $70,000s commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf