The Harn Museum of Art is seeking a fulltime Chief Preparator. The Chief Preparator performs skilled work related to the design, fabrication, and installation/deinstallation of museum exhibitions, and is directly involved in the handling, framing, packing and transportation of artwork. A special characteristic of the position is the ability to long-range plan and move multiple exhibitions along through various stages of installation, deinstallation, and preparation simultaneously. The employee should expect to travel on periodic basis to serve as courier, assist with traveling exhibitions’ installations and deinstallations, and attend conferences. The Chief Preparator will also be called upon to assist with regular care and maintenance of the permanent collection and in times of emergency.
- Supervises and participates, in partnership with the registrars, in the movement of all works of art in the museum’s care, whether internally or externally, including packing and crating works of art for travel.Willingness to travel as courier as required.
- Responsible for the production of display cases, customized mounts and frames, and didactic materials.
- Prepares gallery spaces and displays in advance of exhibition installations.
- Participates in and supervises the matting and framing of artwork, hanging and installing/deinstalling exhibitions, installing/deinstalling and maintaining outdoor sculpture, and arranging lighting in galleries.
- With the curators, participates in planning the design of the gallery space and displays.
- Directs the fabrication of crates for shipping works of art.
- Supervises interns and volunteers.
- Performs such other duties as assigned by the Registrar that may arise in the course of the museum’s development and needs.
Minimum Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent and five years of experience, preferably in museum exhibits; and two years in a supervisory capacity.
- Previous experience working in museum or art gallery
- Knowledge of the principles, techniques, and equipment used in designing, fabricating, and installing exhibitions including working within a limited budget.
- Knowledge of museum-approved materials (acid-free, non-off gassing, archival, etc.)
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Skill in using a variety of hand and power tools.
- Ability to follow design instructions, specifications, and blueprints.
- Ability to design and paint decorative and interpretive elements in exhibits, such as mounts and other display furniture.
- Ability to design and construct shipping crates and perform intermediate-level carpentry tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Skill in handling trucks, forklifts, lifts and other forms of moving equipment.
- Driving skill because of the necessity to travel out of town, including overnight trips.
- Familiarity with safe working practices, such as OSHA regulations
- Familiarity with Product Safety Sheets
- Familiarity with ADA regulations
Advertised Salary: $41,000 - $46,000
- To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/501898/chief-preparator
- More information about the Harn Museum of Art and its programs can be found at www.harn.ufl.edu .
- Equal Opportunity Employer
- All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a review of criminal records, reference checks, and verification of education.
- This position requires a post-offer health assessment.