Title: Collections Care Technician
Reports to: Conservator
Date: March 8, 2019
As a member of the Conservation and Collections Care section within the Division of Collections and Curatorial Affairs, the Collections Care Technician works alongside the Collections Care Specialist, and with other members of the Division, and reports to the Conservator. The Collections Care Technician performs technical work in the preservation and cyclical care of historic interiors and associated art collections at Vizcaya by providing cyclical care and cleaning of Vizcaya’s historic interiors and surfaces and associated collections of antique furniture, carpets, oil paintings and decorative objects and associated tasks.
Cyclic maintenance of decorated spaces and outdoor sculpture, including
- Conduct cyclical cleaning of decorated spaces and objects in Main House.
- Implement Integrated Preventive Pest Management Program; place traps in decorated spaces bimonthly, collect data, and enter data into database.
- Conduct sculpture maintenance bi-annually.
- Work with interns/volunteers and oversee daily activities and special projects that require their involvement.
Emergency preparedness and response, including
- Stock hurricane readiness supplies prior to hurricane season (by June); assemble and refresh sandbag supply for Main House, as needed.
- Provide physical support during hurricane preparedness, response and recovery.
Training and outreach, including
- Support object handling training, hurricane preparation training for front-line staff and staff involved in hurricane preparation procedures in decorated spaces.
- Assist with Safety Committee-related training.
- Assist Digital Media Specialist with social media campaigns.
Institution-wide projects and (cross-) divisional initiatives, including
- Provide support for projects that in Capital Projects and Facilities Division.
- Respond to averse environmental conditions as needed (i.e. mold outbreaks, elevated RH).
- Move objects exposed to unsafe conditions as needed.
- Support curatorial initiatives and exhibition installation/de-installation.
- Support public and membership programs.
- Work with Collections Manager in moving objects between and within storage locations, including offsite storage facilities, and assist in the organization of these spaces.
- Find and retrieve information from archives and object files.
- Participate in cross-divisional committees as deemed necessary.
- Provide administrative support to the Conservation and Collections Care section.
Competency or position requirements
The position requires basic knowledge of collection care and maintenance; the ability to work independently as well as in a team; to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing; have basic knowledge of current registration practices and cataloging standards.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The work is performed inside Vizcaya Museum and outside as needed and occasionally at Vizcaya’s offsite storage facilities. There is some exposure to heat, dust, mold, and dirt. This job requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally and requires certain hand dexterity, body awareness, the ability to stand for long periods of time, to stoop, to reach, to climb, to bend at waist.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full-time position, 8 hour days, 5 days a week. Occasionally work is required during evening hours, or weekend or holidays.
Travel is not required for this position.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATION)
Education and Experience
Required: BA/BS in museum studies or art history or related field, and a minimum of one (1) year experience working with collections or art objects or similar materials in a museum, gallery or comparable setting.
Valid Florida Driver’s License
Note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Sandra D. Williams Human Resources Director, Vizcaya Museum & Gardens at: HRVizcaya@vizcaya.org
Open until filled.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.