City of Venice, Florida
Job Announcement No. 1748
Classification Title: Collections Manager/Curator
Department: Historical Museum and Archives
Pay Grade: (AFSCME) 124 FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
General Statement of Job
Oversees the maintenance, preservation, cataloging, storage, and exhibition development associated with the City of Venice’s historical collections.
All City of Venice employees are expected to demonstrate PRIDE in their jobs by being Productive, Responsible, Innovative, Dedicated and Ethical.
In addition, certain essential city services are required to be maintained in any civil emergency. Depending upon the type of emergency, any and all employees may be activated as essential employees in the event of an emergency.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates the development of museum exhibits that includes scheduling; selecting objects for display; setting up layout; writing text panels, labels, informational brochures; and publicity.
- Processes museum acquisitions, loans and donations through accessioning, cataloging and deaccessioning.
- Reviews and researches objects to ascertain authenticity and historical significance.
- Conducts periodic inventories and manages computer database system and object files for museum collections.
- Evaluates collections storage conditions and makes recommendations for improvements. Monitors storage areas for appropriate environmental controls and optimal space utilization.
- Accurately and legibly prepares and maintains reports, records, forms and other required documentation.
- Researches and assists with writing and preparing grant applications for the Historical Museum and Archives.
- Responsible for staying current with collections management processes, practices, trends and techniques.
- Responsible for overseeing the display and long-term preservation of historical collections to sustain the City’s heritage, making it available for civic enjoyment and education. Responsible in work to the Director of Historical Resources.
- Minimum Education and Training
- Bachelor’s Degree in history, museum studies or related field and two (2) years experience in curatorial research, exhibit design and museum collections management software; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Minimum Qualifications and Standards Required
Knowledge of principles and practices of museum collection management and exhibit development standards. Ability to work independently of direct supervision and capable of sustaining regular and predictable attendance. Must be able to prepare brochures and press releases related to historical exhibits and activities. Possess excellent listening, speaking and communication skills; and complete all forms and reports legibly and accurately. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other City employees and interact with the public in a professional, respectful manner. Possess a valid Florida Driver’s license, free of any serious violations.
Requires a working knowledge of collections management software, PastPerfect and Microsoft Office 2003 or higher to include Word and Excel. Must have a basic understanding of Windows operating system. Familiarity of AS400/Sungard applications preferred. Working knowledge of the Group Wise email application or equivalent and Internet Explorer is also highly recommended. Ability to learn specific computer applications used in the Department.
Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb on ladders/stools, bend, stoop, reach, lift and carry up to 20 pounds. Must have good eyesight and hearing with or without aides. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for applicants with physical disabilities.
Work is primarily performed in an office environment.
It is understood that every incidental duty connected with operations enumerated in the job description is not always specifically described, and employees, at the discretion of the City, may be required to perform duties not within their job descriptions.
SALARY RANGE: $16.4335 - $23.9921/ Hour
$ 34,181.68 - $49,903.57/Annual
(AFSCME Grade 124)
(Except as may be provided in Article 9 of the AFSCME Agreement for promotion, transfers, demotions, etc.)
PLEASE NOTE: Any interested applicant must make written application (online at www.venicegov.com or on paper on a city application form) to the Administrative Services Department before 4:00 p.m. on the closing date, which is Friday, January 6th, 2017.
Applicants (with the exception of current city employees) given a conditional offer of employment will be subjected to physical examination, drug, tobacco/ nicotine screening, review of driver’s license record, criminal background, and references from previous employers.
The City of Venice is an Equal Opportunity Employer