The Marco Island Historical Society (MIHS) seeks a self-motivated museum professional with collections management experience for a full-time position as Collections Manager. The MIHS is located at the Marco Island Historical Museum in Marco Island, Florida.
The MIHS maintains an extensive collection of objects, documents, and photographs pertaining to the history of Marco Island and its surrounding community at the Marco Island Historical Museum. The museum, which opened full-time in 2011, is operated jointly by Collier County Museums and the MIHS. The collections are maintained by the MIHS on-site at the museum. In collaboration with the MIHS Curator of Collections, the Collections Manager will be a partner in the implementation of a long-term strategic plan for the collections.
The Collections Manager’s primary objective will be to bring the MIHS collections up to national museum standards through collaborative and independent work on collections care, development of core documents, and general museum registration practices. The Collections Manager will report directly to the Curator of Collections and assist with exhibits and special projects as needed.
- Develop/refine core documents in collaboration with Curator.
- Create comprehensive inventory of collections.
- Rehouse collections in archival storage materials.
- Make recommendations for the purchase of archival supplies/materials.
- Facilitate collections access/use requests.
- Process incoming/existing accessions, including accessioning, cataloging, labeling, paperwork, data entry, and archival storage.
- Process incoming/outgoing loans, including packing, shipping, condition reporting, and data entry.
- Enter all pertinent collections data into PastPerfect database.
- Digitize collections via photography of 3D items and scanning of 2D items.
- Conduct research on collections as necessary and in conjunction with exhibits and special projects.
- Monitor and regulate environmental conditions in collections storage.
- Supervise collections interns, volunteers, and part-time assistants.
- Perform basic conservation treatments.
- Perform basic graphic design work.
- Contribute to organization’s social media footprint.
- Assist Curator of Collections as needed with permanent/temporary exhibits and special projects.
- Contribute scholarship, including conferences and publications, and participate in professional development opportunities.
- Participate in occasional public outreach opportunities.
- Monitor and update PastPerfect online.
- Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies, Art History, Anthropology, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Practical experience with museum registration and collections management.
- Knowledge of current museum collections standards and best practices.
- Proficient with PastPerfect or a similar museum data management program.
- Proficient with digital cameras, photographic scanners, and software.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Word).
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and a meticulous work ethic.
- Strong museum ethics and a passion for collections work.
- Position schedule: M-F (9AM to 5PM or 40 hrs. per week)
- Starting salary: $33-37,000K (commensurate with experience)
- Moving stipend of up to $1,000 available to cover expenses
- Up to three finalists will be reimbursed for travel to/from on-site interviews
Submit cover letter, two-page (max) résumé, and three references to:
Marco Island Historical Society
c/o Austin Bell, Curator of Collections
180 S. Heathwood Dr.
Marco Island, FL 34145
You may also submit materials (or questions) via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received no later than Friday, August 24, 2018.