The Bailey Matthews National Shell Museum is located on Sanibel Island, Florida. We are a nationally accredited Natural History Museum devoted to mollusks and we have a collection of more than 500,000 shells. We are a small professional staff that loves our work and we work hard. We offer programs, exhibits, events and family activities for our more than 50,000 visitors each year – all toward our goal of converting visitors’ love of shells to a passion to steward and protect the animals that create them. We are embarking on an expansion of the Museum which will include adding an aquarium facility in 2019.
About the Position:
The Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director. If you’re a first-rate writer and story-teller as well as a self-started, multi-tasker and ready to charge ahead, then this position may be for you. We’re looking for someone to be responsible for all of the communications from the museum: media releases, print ads, newsletters, donor communications, capital campaign materials, annual report, website, social media, as well as all internal communications. We already have a great graphic artist, but we’re in need of a great writer/communicator who can bring it all together and coordinate all of our communications to meet our marketing strategy.
We have a fabulous small staff who will work with you to make it happen. We want you to be 10 steps ahead and urging us on. We won’t lie – there are weeks when we put in more than 40 hours and you will too. We work hard – but also have a lot of fun.
It is a full-time benefitted position (medical dental, vision, 403B, paid vacation/PTO and causeway tolls paid) reporting to the Executive Director. Salary range is $45,000 –$60,000 annually depending upon experience.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Prepare an annual communications plan and budget for approval by the Executive Director
- Write and issue weekly media releases and hotel communications
- Write and publish quarterly newsletter in print and electronically
- Write and produce invitations, flyers, notices, etc.
- Develop and maintain on-line communications including website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others. (Museum staff will provide support and content for these postings)
- Create ads and ensure that they run correctly and on-time in the selected publications
- Ensure that accounting has appropriate contracts, tear sheets and invoices for payment of all media related expenses
- Work with other tourism marketing agencies to represent the museum and ensure the most effective marketing for the organization.
- Represent the Museum at various shows, festivals and events, chamber, CVB and Tourism functions
- Build and maintain strong relationships with area concierges and other marketing partners
- Coordinate public speaking venues for the Director, Curator and Board Members as appropriate
- Excellent communication skills: written and oral
- Ability to work effectively with staff and volunteers of all ages and backgrounds
- Exceptional attention to all details of a project
- Experience and expertise successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to manage a project so that it concludes on time and on budget
- Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with the museum staff and board
- Able to work nights and weekends as required
- Creativity, imagination and willingness to try new ideas
- Marketing, public relations and writing experience
- Expertise using Constant Contact, as well as experience in marketing through all social media
- Website management experience desired
- Passion for environmental stewardship and marine biology
Please send your inquiry to: firstname.lastname@example.org Include the following:
- Cover letter
- Writing Samples
Our goal is to find the right person as quickly as we can. The position will remain open until that happens.