The Norton Museum of Art is seeking a Controller to join our museum team reporting to our CFO. This position is responsible for day-to-day operations of the Finance Department and ensuring all financial transactions are done in accordance with nonprofit financial accounting standards.
The Norton Museum of Art was founded in 1941 and today houses one of the finest permanent collections in the South of over 8,000 works of art in five core collections: American, Chinese, Contemporary, European, and Photography. In February 2019, the Museum opened a new 59,000 square-foot wing of galleries, educational spaces, and visitor amenities designed by Pritzker-Prize winning architect Lord Norman Foster, as well as a sculpture garden.
- Deliver timely reports and analyses on financial position, cash flow, revenues, and other financial information as may be requested by the CFO.
- Supervise Finance staff; assign duties, develop departmental work plans, and assess performance.
- Oversee monthly close and produce monthly and annual financial reports as needed; prepare and input journal entries and reconcile bank and other accounts.
- Maintain and reconcile general ledger accounts.
- Assist CFO in preparing and monitoring Museum budgets.
- Work with staff and external auditors to conduct annual audit.
- Orchestrate annual insurance renewals.
- Oversee processing of accounts payable, accounts receivable and revenue recognition.
- Provide financial information to all department heads in developing and monitoring their annual budgets.
- Review bi-weekly payroll and provide payroll processing backup to HR when needed.
- Oversee daily cash handling and ensure that good internal controls for cash handling are in place and are being followed.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting
- 5 - 7 years working in the accounting field.
- Nonprofit accounting experience preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of FASB regulations and their application to non-profit institutions.
- Ability to detect errors and monitor own work to ensure quality.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with financial software or ability to learn quickly.
For immediate consideration, please send an email with your resume, references, and cover letter to: HR@norton.org.
The Norton Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer and celebrates a diverse team of talented staff and volunteers.