At Orange County Government, we are proud to serve the public with integrity, honesty, fairness and professionalism. We develop innovative policies and services that impact Central Florida and shape the future of our community. We have been consistently recognized as a “Top 100 Family Friendly Company,” facilitating a healthy work-life balance.
The Orange County Regional History Center, housed in a historic courthouse in downtown Orlando, offers four floors of exhibits exploring 12,000 years of Central Florida’s rich heritage. A Smithsonian affiliate, the museum also presents visiting exhibitions and a wide range of programs for all ages. From documenting defining moments in our history, including the Pulse Nightclub tragedy, to bearing witness to everyday life, the museum plays an invaluable role by serving as Central Florida’s storyteller for generations to come.
The Regional History Center is looking for a qualified professional to fill the position of Curator of Exhibitions. This position is responsible for the daily management and care of the museum’s temporary exhibitions including concept development, research, writing, design, and install/de-install. In addition to temporary exhibits, this position also assists other staff members in maintaining the permanent exhibitions and exhibit related programming.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management and security of the permanent exhibitions as well as changing exhibitions when scheduled.
- Designs historical exhibitions from concept and content development, research, writing, layout, production to installation.
- Assists in creating progressive, cutting-edge exhibitions that illuminate the history of our region.
- Maintains an institutional narrative standard/style guide for the museum.
- Coordinates scheduling, delivery and installation of museum traveling exhibits. • Creates supplemental materials or guides for exhibitions as needed • Participates in special events and museum presentations.
- Coordinates, trains and supervises volunteers in the Collections Section.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor degree from an accredited institution in History, Public History, Museum Studies, Anthropology or closely related field and two years of experience working in a museum related field including artifact care and handling.
- Excellent interpretive writing and communications skills.
- Fluent in standards and best practices of design and public access.
- Proficiency with designing exhibitions utilizing Adobe Suite software.
Hours per week: 40
Hours/Days of work: 8:00am-5:00pm /Monday - Friday with occasional evenings and weekends
The selected applicant must submit to a background investigation that includes but is not limited to fingerprinting and polygraph examination. Favorable results must be obtained for employment.
Posting Date: 07/25/2018
Closing Date: 08/22/2018
(Posting is subject to close without prior notice)
$41,413 - $53,830 Based on qualification
Orange County Regional History Center
65 East Central Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32801
If you are claiming Veterans' Preference, you are responsible for providing the required eligibility documentation by the close date of the posting. Please submit a cover letter and copies of documents, not originals, to Orange County Human Resources Division, PO Box 1393, Orlando, FL 32801-1393 or fax to (407) 836-0098 (only Veterans' Preference documentation will be accepted by fax). Your cover letter should include the position posting number you are applying for, the title of the position and the last 4 digits of your social security number.
If your education was obtained in the United States, the County recognizes degrees or diplomas which are accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). If you have obtained education from a country other than the United States, your degree or diploma must be evaluated to determine the United States equivalency by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES) or the Association of International Credentials Evaluations (AICE) at your expense.
Please apply online at: https://mycareers.ocfl.net