The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Fort Lauderdale Historical Society’s fundraising including the major gifts program, annual fund, grants management, planned giving, special events and future capital campaign. The Director works closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in all development and fund raising endeavors and assists ED in special initiatives involving planning and marketing.
- 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
- Must embrace the mission of Fort Lauderdale Historical Society.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- A bachelor’s degree.
ACTUAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meet with prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications, prospect to solicitation, involving executive director and/or key volunteers as needed.
- Work collaboratively with staff department heads to create a grant writing schedule to include research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Re-establish a planned giving program.
- Direct the annual fund solicitation, from developing a case statement through appropriate donor recognition.
- Coordinate fund raising special events with staff/board assistance.
- Secure sponsorships for exhibits, events, and museum programs.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the Historical Society with the community.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems. Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
E-mail resume to Patricia Zeiler firstname.lastname@example.org