The Flagler Museum opened to the public in 1960. The Museum is housed within Whitehall, Henry Flagler’s Gilded Age estate built in 1902 in Palm Beach, Florida. Located on beautiful Lake Worth (Intracoastal Waterway), the Museum is designated a National Historic Landmark and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. The Flagler Museum serves visitors from all over the world and offers an active schedule of programs and exhibitions. www.FlaglerMuseum.us.
About the Position:
This full-time, exempt management team position oversees the Museum’s finances, to include all accounting and bookkeeping functions, payroll and personnel benefits/records, accounts payable, deposits, bank reconciliations, assets list and depreciation schedules, budgeting and reporting for Board and staff, preparation for annual audit and 990, grant reporting, insurance policy management, information technology oversight, any financial reporting required for special projects throughout the year, and other duties as assigned to assist with the business of the Museum. The position oversees the work of a full-time Business Assistant.
The Director of Finance must have a strong background in finance in the non-profit sector and be able to provide leadership on financial issues for the Executive Director, Deputy Director and for fellow department heads. He/she must keep the Museum updated and in compliance with financial trends and regulations in the industry; see the big picture of the financial operation without overlooking the urgent attention to detail that is required on a daily basis; demonstrate a genuine interest in the Museum’s programming and operation, combined with a desire to be helpful to staff on a wide range of issues.
Bachelors degree in business or accounting required; CPA, Masters preferred.
- Hands-on skill and knowledge in all accounting and bookkeeping functions, payroll and benefits administration; ability to learn accounting software quickly and demonstrate proficiency
- Proficiency in budgeting and forecasting, with ability to review and negotiate service contracts
- Supervisory experience, with the ability to bring out the best in staff through effective leadership and mentorship; ability to maintain an atmosphere of confidentiality but remain open and helpful to inquiries
- Ability to handle critical issues on short notice; effective problem solving and ability to make timely decisions;
- Effective communication skills; ability to create calm and efficient work environment
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. The Museum is a smoke-free environment and drug-free workplace and a complete background check is conducted prior to hire. The Flagler Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.