DIRECTOR OF MUSEUM EXPERIENCES (Exhibitions and Programming)
Art & History Museums – Maitland (A&H) seeks a dynamic Director of Experiences to lead the institution’s team of museum professionals and volunteers in the creation and presentation of educational and leisure opportunities, including exhibitions, programs, and special events.
Art & History Museums - Maitland (A&H) engages the public by educating, collecting, preserving, interpreting, exhibiting and promoting art and history, inspired by Maitland’s heritage and the legacy of Jules André Smith. Through a unique architectural environment and inspirational programming, A&H stimulates thought, sparks the imagination, enriches the spirit, and fosters appreciation in art, history and preservation. A&H provides an immersive cultural heritage experience throughout its two historic campuses serving children, adults, artists and historians. Activities include artist residencies, artists' studios, contemporary art exhibits, professional art instruction, interactive history exhibitions, hands-on history programs, lectures, films, special events, and more.
In partnership with the City of Maitland, A&H currently operates five museums: the Maitland Art Center, the Maitland History Museum, the Telephone Museum, the Waterhouse Residence Museum and the Carpentry Shop Museum. The Maitland Art Center, originally known as The Research Studio, is Central Florida’s first, and currently only, National Historic Landmark.
The Director of Experiences is a member of the senior leadership team and responsible for designing, implementing and administering the organization’s multi-faceted public experiences functions that include educational opportunities (exhibitions and programs), leisure activities (special events) and guest services (admissions).
- Leads the Experiences Team to develop and implement innovative and comprehensive experiences for guests that unite the institution’s disciplines of art and history;
- Works with the Executive Director and the Experiences Team to design, execute and administer a successful Experiences Plan that includes, but is not limited to, creative and diverse educational opportunities (on-site interactive exhibitions, community pop-up displays, interpretive historic sites tours, art school classes, workshops, lectures, etc.), leisure activities (festivals, socials, etc.), and quality guest services (admissions, museum store, etc.);
- Responsible for the multitude of Experiences Department functions, and supervises the Experiences Team to develop department wide collaboration and consistency to achieve the organization’s mission, goals and objectives and fulfill Experiences Department work plans;
- Supervises the collections staff to manage the collections of art, historic artifacts and archival materials that are utilized for guest experiences and research; \
- Develops and provides oversight of budget accounts for Experiences Department;
- Assists the Board of Directors and the Executive Director to maintain strong relationships with current, former and potential individual donors, corporate supporters and foundation contributors;
- Works with the senior leadership team to integrate Experiences Department activities into other areas of institutional operations;
- Train, supervise and retain Experiences Department volunteers;
- Support overall institutional operations by cooperating with staff colleagues, providing professional assistance to other departments; and
- Complete additional duties, as assigned by the Executive Director.
The position requires a combination of strong professional credentials and demonstrated skills and success in multiple museum disciplines. The successful candidate should present most of the following:
- Knowledge of and experience with museum education methods and tools required;
- Knowledge of and experience with museum exhibitions methods and tools required;
- Knowledge of and experience with collections management;
- Knowledge of United States history and modern American art desired;
- Superior written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Outstanding analytical skills, problem solving skills, and presentation skills;
- Proven project-management skills with the ability to achieve results with nominal supervision;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- A team player with a strong work ethic who can develop a positive and highly productive work environment while maintaining flexibility;
- Ability to successfully interact and collaborate with key stakeholders to achieve results;
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion to meet deadlines;
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices;
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment;
- Demonstrated success in working with a culturally diverse community;
- Proficient computer skills, including e-mail, Internet, and Microsoft Office, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Physical ability to lift objects weighing up to fifty pounds (50 lbs.), climb stairs and ladders, stoop, bend, push, pull and perform other physical duties, but also be able to sit up to eighty percent (80%) of the work day;
- Must be available for a flexible schedule that includes some evenings and weekends;
- At least five (5) years related professional museum experience; and
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredit college/university in a related field required.
SALARY and BENEFITS
A&H has a comprehensive compensation package with a starting salary range of $40-44K
HOW TO APPLY
Apply in confidence to CEO & Executive Director Mark S. Harmon via email at Mark@artandhistory.org. Please send cover letter, résumé (.pdf preferred), and names of three references with contact information. In cover letter, please address professional museum experience in relation to primary position duties. Review of applications will remain open until the position is filled. Please, no phone inquiries. Art & History Museums – Maitland is an equal opportunity employer.