PAY GRADE: A-17
OVERTIME STATUS: EXEMPT
To provide leadership and management for the day-to-day operations of the Appleton Museum of Art, an 80,000 sq. ft. art museum which provides permanent and changing exhibitions, diverse educational programming for all ages/cultural groups, and collecting, preserving and caring for museum collections. Coordinate an effective development program for the museum in collaboration with the CF Foundation.
At the College of Central Florida, our vision is “To be the first choice for quality higher education in our community.” We aim to accomplish this by providing a caring and exceptional learning environment that fosters the success of our students and community. Candidates considering becoming part of the CF family must be able to embrace and model this philosophy in their day-to-day responsibilities and demonstrate our standards: professional, responsive, informative, dependable and engaged.
PREREQUISITES FOR POSITION (Qualification Standards):
- Education or training: Master’s Degree in applicable field is required, doctorate preferred.
- Years of experience in field: Three years senior management experience at a cultural agency required, five years preferred; experience managing a museum within a higher education institution preferred.
- Special skills or abilities related to field: Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Strong organization and management skills. Problem solving skills. Demonstrated knowledge of fundraising techniques. Broad knowledge of art field and museum practices and standards for administration and collection management. Demonstrated ability to effectively network and establish relationships with a diverse community, members, sponsors, and artists. Adaptable to change.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Articulate and promote the mission of the museum.
- Manage day-to-day museum operations and staff.
- Work collaboratively with the Vice President and other college administration to ensure compliance with college policies and procedures.
- Work with Appleton Museum’s Advisory Council to help guide the museum.
- Develops and presents annual budget to Vice President for approval and supervises expenditure of department allocations and special fund allocations within the approved budget.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state, local regulations and accreditation standards.
- Act as the media spokesperson, as assigned, for the museum; coordinate marketing and public relations with college’s marketing and public relations office.
- Conduct strategic planning. Work with the Institutional Effectiveness department to coordinate development of vision for future programs and funding.
- Seek and receive funding through grants and gift-giving\fundraising activities and coordinate all development activity with the CF Foundation and Resource Development department.
- Work with staff to develop schedule of exhibit/program offerings.
- Develop appropriate policies and procedures to assure the integrity of the collections.
- Maintain museum operational standards appropriate for retaining accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums.
- Recruit and evaluate assigned personnel.
- Oversee an education program for all educational levels and coordinate museum educational opportunities with other educational entities.
- Represent museum at various meetings/both internally and externally.
- Work evening and weekend hours as needed. Other duties as assigned.
- Due to the scope of responsibility of this position and the need for the college to communicate both during the weekday and after regular work hours, the employee must possess a cell phone and provide the number to Human Resources, the immediate supervisor, and the Senior Vice President.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Ability to clearly communicate both orally and in writing on a telephone and on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Routinely requires sitting at a desk and viewing a display screen for extended periods of time
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer or other electronic device
- Routinely requires Moderate (up to 40 pounds) lifting and carrying
- Routinely requires Walking, Standing, Sitting, Kneeling, Stooping, Reaching up, Twisting and Bending.
- Works in an indoor environment.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
PRIMARY LOCATION OF JOB: Appleton Museum of Art
SUPERVISOR OF POSITION: Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness and College Relations
How to Apply
Go to http://www.cf.edu/community/cf/hr/ Select one of the following online portals Administrative/Faculty/Adjunct Career Opportunities or Professional/Career/Part-time Career Opportunities. Submit an electronic application, a copy of unofficial transcripts and resume online.
A copy of transcripts from an accredited institution must be submitted with the application.