Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Working Title: Education Coordinator
This is independent work developing and coordinating K-12 educational programming at the Florida Historic Capitol Museum. This includes assignments which are complex in nature and very broad in objective. Work involves the independent formulation, analysis, and recommendation of changes to educational programs involving complex historical topics. The position reports to the Visitor Services and Event Manager.
Examples of Work Performed
- Engages with the public on a daily basis and conveys information to both small and large groups of all ages
- Handles preparation of education programs for K-12 visitors
- Researches successful educational programs at other leading institutions
- Assists the Director of Research and Programming in the implementation of the Museum’s broad audience programming efforts and events
- Acts as the team leader for the Museum’s participation in all early learning and K-12 outreach programs
- Assists the Visitor Services and Event Manager with the implementation of the Annual Music Series
- Assists in formulating and recommending changes to education programs and policies, if needed
- Develops pre- and post-visit materials for school groups
- Coordinates communication with teachers, school administrators, and other individuals to schedule and develop content for group visits
- Ensures that education programs are aligned with Florida education standards
- Works with the Director of External Relations to ensure that educational materials and programs are accessible via the Museum’s website
- Works with the Director of External Relations to develop appropriate marketing strategies to promote the Museum’s K-12 programs
- Conducts evaluation of educational programs
- Collects, organizes, and analyzes data related to school group visitation
- Supervises education volunteers and interns and trains them to lead educational programs
- Works with the Exhibits Manager and Visitor Services and Event Manager to develop interactive experiences in the Museum’s permanent and temporary exhibit spaces
- Staffs Visitor Services Desk as needed
- Provides support for special events
- Performs other related duties as required
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Computer including Microsoft Office, internet, and databases; digital camera; general office equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of educational theory and techniques; knowledge of best practices for museum educational programs; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data; ability to pay attention to detail and review work for accuracy and quality of content; ability to work cooperatively as a team member; ability to be organized and self-directed; ability to multi-task; ability to prepare reports, correspondence, and maintain records; ability to maintain effective working relationships with board members, donors, volunteers, schools and teachers, supervisor, other agencies, and the public.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and one year of professional administrative work experience.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university can substitute for the required experience.
- Administrative or staff experience can substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
Business Casual or Business Professional attire required.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in liberal arts, education, American history, public history or related field and experience teaching in the classroom, with museums, or hosting educational programs preferred.
The Legislature offers a competitive benefits package.
Open until filled
Submission of Application
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, completed legislative application, and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are available through the Florida Legislature's web site Online Sunshine and in Room 701 of the Claude Pepper Building.
Accommodation for Disability
If an accommodation is needed for a disability, please notify Human Resources at (850) 488-6803.