The mission of the Florida Maritime Museum (FMM) is to preserve and share Florida’s maritime heritage. Established in the heart of the regional, commercial fishing industry, FMM tells a number of stories pertinent to all aspects of Florida’s maritime history through photographs, boat models, tools and other historically significant materials and relevant programming. The Education and Engagement Coordinator position is a full-time, non-supervisory position reporting to the Supervisor of the Florida Maritime Museum.
- Bachelor’s degree in Museum Education, or related field; or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of basic principles of education or related classroom/field trip experience
- Knowledge of Florida Maritime History
- Demonstrated ability to work with adults and children in a teaching capacity; group tours and field trips
- Demonstrated ability to create digital education content for adults and children
- Demonstrated ability to work with and manage volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate information in engaging and creative ways; public speaking experience
- Computer literacy which includes, but is not limited to, proficiency in Microsoft Windows suite
- Must possess good interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work as part of a team and foster a positive work environment.
- Ability to write concisely, with clarity and proper grammar
- Ability to develop and implement educational activities
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and well
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekend events as needed
- Basic knowledge and ability to manage grounds maintenance
- Basic mathematical aptitude, as well as alpha and numeric filing skills are required
- Some experience working in a museum or historical site
- Must be punctual; regular attendance is required.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license
Along with the satisfactory performance of this job’s essential functions, the employee in this position is expected to actively and consistently demonstrate the core values of the Clerk’s Office.
Service to All
Everyone is my customer. From our customers to my coworkers and colleagues, excellent service is my primary goal. I will provide courteous, patient and knowledgeable service to everyone.
I will foster the highest level of ethical conduct and promote an atmosphere of transparency, accountability and confidentiality in my actions and behavior. I will comply with all the Clerk’s policies.
I will treat the office, everyone I come in contact with and myself with respect. From punctuality to dress code, I will be mindful of what my actions and my appearance communicate to others.
I will present ideas and information in a thoughtful and courteous manner and be open minded to the ideas and suggestions of others. I take responsibility to keep others fully informed of situations and information at all levels whether in writing or verbally.
I accept responsibility for the quality, quantity and timeliness of my work. I will seek answers to issues I do not understand and I will own my behavior.
I hold myself and others accountable for the success of the team. I support a culture that finds solutions, rather than make excuses or place blame. I will be flexible and cooperative when faced with change.
I will foster an environment of continuous improvement. I am encouraged to research, study and learn the vast workings of the Clerk’s office so I can be of the most service to our customers.
It is understood that every incidental duty connected with operations listed in the job description is not always specifically described, and that employees, at the discretion of management, may be required to perform duties not within their job descriptions. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides excellent customer service to all in person, in email and over the phone; is approachable, helpful and personable; and answers questions knowledgeably and with patience
- Plans, schedules and orchestrates all school tours, group tours and any educational outreach programs; including digital
- Participates in public speaking about Florida maritime history
- Assists with all aspects of volunteer recruitment, training, retention and data entry
- Assists with all operations of the historic site
- Assists with all aspects of special events
- Assists with production of relevant exhibits
- Assists with daily grounds and garden maintenance
- Operates daily gift store sales, stocking, and deposits
- Regular and reliable attendance is an essential function of this job
- Assists management with other related duties as assigned
- Performs general office duties.
- Gains knowledge of the rules and regulations pertaining to activities
- Learns County and local Florida historical facts and folklore
- Proofreads and edits materials
- Answers telephone and in-person inquiries about the historic site and its activities and programs
ESSENTIAL MENTAL AND PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS
The essential mental and physical functions listed below are required in order for an employee to be able to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Thinking critically; defined as reading, understanding and taking appropriate action on detailed and complex information
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time
- Standing for prolonged periods of time
- Repetitive actions/motion of one or both hands
- Hearing ordinary conversation and office sounds
- Verbal communication in person and on the phone
- Written communication by hand and on PC
- Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull at minimum 40 pounds
- Ability to lift 25lbs and push/pull up to 40lbs in a cart
The Manatee County Clerk of the Circuit Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the ADAAA, the Clerk will provide a reasonable accomodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accomodations with the employer.
Work is conducted both in an office environment and in outdoor settings. This position frequently requires working within strict deadlines, under stressful conditions and with a variety of personalities, who may at times be emotional.
JOB DESCRIPTION ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
I have read and understand the functions and requirements of this position. I understand that this is not to be considered as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements and does not limit the assignment of additional duties for this position.
I also understand that this job description does not constitute a contract of employment for any purpose.
All job descriptions are subject to revision and amendment. I have received a copy of this job description and am fully aware of the expectations of the job and the office.
As an employee, I will strive to uphold the values of the Clerk’s Office.