The iconic Lightner Museum is a 501(c) (3) organization that is housed in the former Alcazar Hotel in the historic city of St. Augustine, FL. This famous hotel, built by Henry Flagler in 1888, was purchased by Otto Lightner and opened as the Lightner Museum in 1949. Since then, restoration has been an on-going process at the Lightner Museum. Major renovations include the elegant front lobby, the grand ballroom gallery, a new roof, library, board room, and several special exhibit gallery spaces.
Lightner Museum’s mission is to preserve, maintain and interpret its collection of 19th century decorative art and material culture for the educational benefit of St. Augustine residents and the visiting public. Lightner currently displays one of the most elegant collections of fine art and cultural treasures from this period in the country. In addition to the “Gilt Age” exhibits housed there, Lightner is a premier location for weddings, celebrations and special events.
St. Augustine is located in Northeast Florida, just south of Jacksonville and north of Daytona Beach. Tourism is the major economic driver and the area is internationally recognized for its arts, culture and heritage offerings, outdoor recreation, and quality of life. The St. Johns County School District is rated as the #1 school district in the state.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the leadership and strategic direction of the organization, as well as, oversight and adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures. The ED will ensure the ongoing efficient and effective operation and delivery of all programs and services. They will also be responsible for the ongoing promotion and enhancement of Lightner Museum and its reputation and impact in the local community. A key element of the ED's role will be to ensure Lightner’s more active involvement in various fundraising efforts and special events. The express goal of this is to enhance and increase the positive results of these activities on an annual basis.
Key Position Objectives
In addition to the daily responsibilities, the ED will also focus on accomplishing these objectives:
• Develop new strategies focused on growing business and revenue for Lightner through individual membership and donor cultivation, corporate support and business sponsorships.
• Publicize and promote the full capabilities of Lightner Museum in the local, state-wide and regional
markets in a planned and targeted effort.
• Plan for and ensure the display of more highly successful exhibits like Downton Abbey. Promote, encourage and act on staff and volunteer input to help make Lightner Museum a “Destination of
• Work to promote Lightner as an ideal mixed venue for events and celebrations to the local, regional and national tourism industry, destination marketing organizations, and lodging and hospitality partners.
• Engage with the local, state and regional tourism and political arenas and act as an advocate for the arts, culture, events and area heritage of St. Augustine.
• Implement a strong vision that will enhance and sustain a broad base for the long-term growth and success of this multi-attraction venue.
• Participate at the highest level in state, regional, and national trade associations (i.e, AAM).
Financial and Operational Management
• Ensure the effective financial management of all Lightner operations including the preparation of the budgets and financial reports in cooperation and collaboration with the Board.
• Implement strategies and plans to help strengthen the balance sheet and ensure financial stability.
• Represent the Lightner Museum as its chief spokesperson to funding sources, donors, community and tourist organizations, the news media, and other external stakeholders.
Public Image/Strategic Planning and Alliances
• Serve as the face of Lightner in the community and as such, be actively involved in community activities that include effective public speaking and media relations.
• Assist in the development of an updated Strategic Plan built on the collective vision for the future.
• Build strong strategic alliances in support of Lightner’s vision and strategic goals/objectives.
The new Executive Director will have 8 to 10 years of relevant, progressively responsible experience with at least 2 to 3 years in a leadership position. They will have a strong knowledge and affinity for the cultural, arts and events industry, as well as a progressive and creative view towards building/strengthening the organization and its capabilities. They will share and support the mission, vision and values of Lightner Museum, and be willing and able to adapt their personal and professional style as needed. Their qualities should include high-energy, positive-thinking, with a self-sustaining, individual motivation, a strong sense of purpose. They will also possess a broad-based experience in the arts, and a familiarity with the marketing of historic venues, cultural attractions, and destination marketing.
This position provides a very attractive base salary, an incentive bonus program, an excellent benefits plan, and relocation assistance for out of market candidates. Please send a resume, cover letter, and current compensation in complete confidence to:
Betsy Jacobs | Managing Partner
Sterling Search & Consulting
Office: 904 - 396 - 3630 | Email: Betsy@SterlingSearchJax.com