Exhibit Technician - Job ID 42092
The Ringling is a preeminent center for the arts, history, performance, and learning that is dedicated to bringing the past and contemporary culture to life through extraordinary visitor experiences. From its inception, The Ringling has joined the diverse visual traditions and theatrical spectacle of yesterday with the genre-defying global practitioners of today. A place of exploration, discovery and respite, The Ringling’s campus in Sarasota, Florida—which includes the Museum of Art, Circus Museum, a historic home, an 18th-century theater and bayfront gardens—is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As the State Art Museum of Florida and part of Florida State University, The Ringling fulfills an important educational mission. The Ringling offers formal and informal programs of study serving as a major resource for students, scholars and lifelong learners of every age across the region, country, and around the world. For more information, please visit www.ringling.org
- Works as member of the Preparation and Design team. Assists with proper gallery and exhibition maintenance and repair.
- Monitors Tibbals Learning Center audiovisual equipment and interactive computer displays/exhibitions. Troubleshoots equipment/computer problems as needed. Interfaces with Information Technology. Assists with campus wide exhibition audiovisual needs.
- Assists with installing Tibbals and Circus Museum exhibitions and lighting arrangements. Paints gallery space and display areas as directed. Builds display cases and panels. Assists with movement of collections in the museum's care. Monitors and maintains the condition of exhibition areas. Assists with campus wide exhibition lighting and lighting procurement. Drives motorized vehicles to fulfill job duties.
- Monitors Tibbals and Circus buildings and notifies Security or Facilities Maintenance of problems. Works with Facilities to ensure preventative maintenance program is as current as possible. Performs minor maintenance such as exhibition lighting.
- Assists in moving and handling traveling exhibition collections. Assists with or may install exhibition and lighting to include painting walls and pedestals as needed. Mats and frames works of art. Assists with packing and crating works of art.
- Fabrication--Constructs and dismantles temporary walls/partitions for exhibitions. Assists with the fabrication of crates for international and domestic transport of fine art. Assists with building display cases, pedestals, and plinths for exhibitions.
- A high school diploma/equivalent and four years of experience. (Please note: Education will substitute for experience at the equivalent rate).
- Experience monitoring, troubleshooting, and maintaining computerized and mechanical lighting control systems.
- Basic experience maintaining and repairing electronics, researching new equipment, and working with A/V and electronics vendors.
- Experience installing exhibition or display lighting and assessing lighting needs.
- Ability to assist with the fabrication of crates, pedestals, and temporary walls for exhibitions.
- A valid Class E driver's license or the ability to obtain.
- The ability to work on ladders and personal lifts, lift and move objects up to 50 lbs, and work in small spaces.
- Experience with LED lighting.
- Electrician experience helpful.
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at 941-359-5700 ext. 2605 or email@example.com.
Anticipated Salary Range
Low to mid $30,000's/year + Florida State benefits available
This is an USPS (University Support Personnel System) position.
Soft Money Funded Position
This position is time-limited based on soft money funding, with renewal contingent upon available funds and the needs of the University.
Typical schedule is Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required, based on the needs of the Ringling.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, will receive preference and priority in employment and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. For information on who may be eligible for Veterans' Preference, go to http://hr.fsu.edu/?page=ers/application/application_veterans_preference, or call FSU Human Resources at (850) 644-6034.
IMPORTANT: In order to claim Veterans' Preference, applicants must upload a DD-214 (and other documentation, as applicable) with their online application prior to the closing date of the job opening.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf