CHILDRENS SCIENCE EXPLORIUM
Sugar Sand Park Community Center
Sunday through Thursday 8:00AM - 5:00PM
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs difficult technical work designing, implementing, and maintaining all exhibits and signage at the Children’s Science Explorium. This position plans new permanent exhibits and arranges with other vendors for travelling exhibition leases. Work involves the care of physical science-related exhibits, their electronic and computer components, and maintaining a well-stocked workshop; does related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision.
- Ensures proper maintenance and state of repair for exhibits, advises Science Center Coordinator of potential hazards;
- Maintains and updates the Explorium long-term exhibit plan, including scheduled maintenance and implementation of new exhibits;
- Conducts research to prepare and plan for permanent and travelling exhibits and makes recommendations; reviews contracts; provides staff with written protocols on exhibit operations and care; including training as necessary; promotes exhibits online and onsite;
- Plans, organizes and coordinates activities during installation and construction of museum exhibits;
- Write signage text and lays out graphics; and maintains graphic standards for the museum;
- Assists teaching staff with technical aspects of science programs; maintains and repairs teaching aids;
- Work in cooperation with the Science Center Curator and other staff to develop written, audio, computer, and video presentations as exhibit and web components;
- Maintains workshop supplies and tools;
- Assists other staff in the production of newsletters and other materials involving graphics.
- Assists with special events;
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
General knowledge of the physical sciences; strong customer service skills; ability to be creative in the design, implementation, and maintenance of a broad scope of interactive science exhibits; ability to use computers, photographic, and video equipment, computer graphics programs, Adobes Dreamweaver, ability to use and care for hand and power tools and equipment used in museum exhibit preparation; ability to research information and present exhibits to the public and students; ability to work productively with Explorium and Community Center staff and volunteers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in sciences, museum studies, computer science, graphic arts, or related field; and some experience with exhibit maintenance. Experience in exhibits, displays and trades. Experience with welding, acrylic fabrication, painting, or electrical work, forklifts, and/or scissor lifts is preferred. Must have extensive experience with Microsoft applications, and customer service experience.
Possession of a valid State of Florida driver’s license.
Must be able to lift and carry articles weighing up to 50 lbs. Must be able to push articles weighing up to 300 lbs. Must be able to wear hard hat/helmet, safety glasses, goggles, respirator, safety shoes/boots, hearing protectors, welders helmet, face shield, safety harness, safety vest, and gloves. Exposure to extreme temperatures, animals/insects, electrical hazards, confined spaces, heights, noise, vibration, dust, vapors, fumes, mist, smoke, toxic metals, poisons, and irritants and moving mechanical parts. Ability to stand and walk for up to six hours at a time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply directly online at www.myboca.us