The Cade Museum for Creativity & Invention (Cade Museum), a non-profit 501(c)3 located in Gainesville, Florida, is seeking to hire an adaptable, creative, articulate, and highly-motivated individual with at least five years of experience in teaching technology to lead the Cade’s primary education space for introductory technology classes, the Fab Lab. The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in teaching a wide variety of technology concepts and may have a bachelor’s degree in education, computer sciences, or engineering. The Lead Technologist will be passionate about making cutting-edge tools and skills accessible to the community.
The Fab Lab is a makerspace that provides opportunities for the public to learn how to use state-of-the-art technologies through creative, hands-on workshops, classes, and open labs. The Lab currently teaches programming languages and skills needed for use in 3D printing and laser cutting. There is tremendous opportunity to expand upon existing programming and develop new programming incorporating educational tools like Lego Robotics, Tinkercad, Augmented Reality, digital art, Minecraft coding, and more. The ideal candidate will bring new ideas for developing the Fab Lab into a leading technology education program that inspires participants to become creators and inventors in their own lives and community.
This is currently a part-time position (up to 30 hours/week) with the potential of becoming full-time in the near future. A positive, team oriented attitude is a must for working in this small startup, casual entrepreneurial environment. We are not able to offer health benefits. Salary offered is commensurate with experience. The Lead Technologist works closely with the Director of Experiential Learning and reports to the Director of Education. There is a three-month probationary period for all new hires.
Teaching & Training (70%)
- Teaches a wide range of technology-based programs to participants ages 8 to adult
- Trains staff and volunteers how to assist with classes and lead open labs
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Capable of teaching a wide range of technologies, enjoys working with diverse audiences, thrives in busy environments, able to motivate staff and volunteers
Program Development (20%)
- Works with the Director of Education to formalize technology-based curricula for the Fab Lab
- Develops drop-in open labs for the general public
- Works collaboratively with the Cade Education Team to develop new ideas and launch directives requested by the Cade’s staff and board leadership
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Interested in identifying and learning new technologies as they become available, understands how to make complex tasks easy for users, team-oriented
General Responsibilities (10%)
- Manage the Fab Lab space including equipment maintenance, materials inventory, etc.
- Develops lab management policies and procedures
- SKILLS REQUIRED: Organized, detail-oriented, budgeting
- Able to create and teach engaging classes for all ages (8 to adult)
- The position requires the employee work at least 2 weekend days a month and evenings as needed
- Organized, team oriented, and enjoys interacting with the public on a regular basis
Proficiency in the following applications and languages:
- Knowledge of 3D printing technologies and software, proficiency in Tinkercad, Thingiverse, and Corel Draw
- Knowledge of basic programming languages including Raspberry Pi, Python, and PHP
- Game design and app development
- Experience using Laser Cutters, 3D Printers (MakerBot), and Robotics
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mission of the Cade Museum for Creativity & Invention is to transform communities by inspiring and equipping future inventors, entrepreneurs and visionaries.