Salary: $17.00 hourly minimum
Reports to: Building Maintenance Supervisor
The Maintenance Repairer’s position will work cooperatively with 1) the Technicians in insuring all facilities systems work properly to minimize any negative impact on the daily operation and 2) Custodial Workers in maintaining a clean facility.
- Replaces defective light bulbs throughout the museum buildings.
- Replaces burned out fuses, checks fan motors.
- Makes general minor repairs to wood fixtures, ramps, ladders, and frames; assists in the installation of door locks, hinges, shelf brackets, and other hardware fixtures; feeds lumber into power saws, planers, and joiners; operates power and manual tools to assist carpenters in cutting, fitting, assembling, and erecting wooden objects and structures. Inserts in windows using putty
- Mixes plaster, mortar, and cement; slakes lime; assists journeyman engaged in building or repairing brick, stone, or tile walls and structures.
- Does rough painting, independently or under direction of journeyman or foreman; sands down items to be painted; applies primer and finished coat using brush or spray gun
- Assists in repair and overhaul of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment.
- Utilizing semi-skills of the electrical and plumbing trades.
- Installs and repairs signs, using hand tools such as post hole digger, iron bar, and air hammer.
- Assists plumbers by unstopping sinks, toilets, hand basins, sewer lines, and similar systems and facilities.
- Erects scaffolding; loads and unloads materials, cleans tools, and work area upon completion of project.
- Operates automatic housekeeping equipment for floor cleaning including buffing and carpet shampoo machines and other equipment; scrubs, strips and waxes floors and shampoos carpets.
- Operates wall vacuum cleaners and wall washing equipment; cleans walls, curtains, drapes, Venetian blinds, and using ladders as necessary. Maintains working order and cleanliness of wall washing equipment, floor machines, vacuum cleaners, wet-dry vacuum cleaners, automatic scrubbing equipment, wringers, dollies, and floor signs; makes minor repairs when necessary.
- Performs cleaning of offices, lobbies, conference rooms and classrooms; mops floors, dusts and polishes furniture; washes woodwork and fixtures.
- Scrubs and disinfects restroom floors; cleans tile, dividers and baseboards; cleans, polishes, and disinfects toilets; checks and replenishes linen, toilet paper, hand soap, and deodorizers.
- Cleans and changes trash and garbage cans and relines with plastic trash bags as required; washes outside surfaces and refrigerators, cabinets, and furniture.
- Performs related work as required.
Competency or position requirements
Knowledge of the standard tools, materials, methods, and practices of the trades areas to which assigned. Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and to interpret and work from rough sketches. Ability to make rough estimates of time and material requirements. Ability to develop skill in the use and care of the tools, materials, and equipment of the trade’s areas concerned.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
This position can expect to spend much of their time outside working in the elements and mechanical rooms. Must also have the ability to climb ladders, lift and move 25-50 lbs. frequently and 50-100 lbs. occasionally. This list is not all inclusive.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, working a varying schedule that may include weekend and holidays. Some overtime will be required.
Travel is not anticipated.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience, Certification)
Education and Experience
Required: Completion of the eighth grade, one year of experience performing semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks or assisting with maintenance and repairs in any of a variety of the skilled trades is required.
Preferred: High School diploma or GED, three years of experience performing semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks or assisting with maintenance and repairs in any of a variety of the skilled trades is required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: HRVizcaya@vizcaya.org
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.