Museum Educators facilitate high quality guest experiences for museum visitors by developing and delivering our family, youth and public programs in support of the museum’s mission to engage and inspire learners of all ages in science, natural history and culture.
This is a part-time position with a variable schedule of 5-20 hours per week, depending on museum tour and program needs. A minimum availability of two weekdays (excluding Monday) and one weekend day is required.
- Provide both formal and informal interpretation in all areas of the museum for school groups of all grade levels, adult groups and general museum visitors
- Lead groups on museum tours, facilitating age-appropriate, customized learning experiences
- Present stories and talking points on topics related to general science, astronomy, paleontology, archaeology, anthropology, ecology, and Florida history
- Organize and maintain educational materials: discovery carts, biofacts, supplies and museum collection items
- Assist with summer science camp programs and outreach programs
- Follow established guidelines to support the safety of guests, animals, and collection items.
- Help maintain program and training materials ensuring dissemination of the most up-to-date information.
- Greet and organize groups upon arrival
- Assist in training new staff and education volunteers.
- Excellent customer service, presentation and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to learn and share information on a variety of topics, and cross-train in a variety of museum areas including the aquarium and planetarium.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to work independently and with a team with minimal supervision
- Comfortable working with groups of all ages
Comfortable with Microsoft Office as well as technology items such as tablets, iPads, microphones and the like.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include weekdays, weekends, and occasional evenings
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift, pull and push 25 pounds.
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in related field(s) or working toward such a degree (if still in college, you will be asked to provide your course schedule each semester)
- Experience in education, museum or public presentation/performance fields is strongly preferred
- Prior experience working with children
To apply, please email cover letter, resume and references to TSacks@southfloridamuseum.org or HR, South Florida Museum, P.O. Box 9265, Bradenton, FL 34206. No phone calls, please.