The Harn Museum of Art, located on the campus of the University of Florida, in Gainesville, Florida, is currently conducting a search for a talented individual to serve as Museum Store Manager.
The Harn Museum of Art Store Manager, working with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations, is responsible for all aspects of the museum store sales and works to establish and achieve set sales goals ensuring store profits that will support exhibitions and programs at the Harn Museum of Art. The manager is responsible for purchasing, merchandising, inventory control, product development, marketing and budget. The manager also is responsible for the supervision of full-time and part-time staff and sales volunteers. The position recommends policies related to areas of responsibility and implements those approved. The position works closely with the finance/business office, and with the Consignment, Product Development and Communication Committees, and other committees as deemed appropriate.
- Undertakes overall management of the Museum Store and museum sales, and develops operational policies and procedures related to sales transactions, accounts, customer service and other related areas. Implements and directs the retail/wholesale mail order, website and remote store operation.
- Works to establish and achieve set sales goals ensuring store profits that will support exhibitions and programs at the Harn. Prepares Museum store budget, and is responsible for managing the approved budget. Works with Director of Marketing and Public Relations and finance/business office to establish reports and procedures for regularly analyzing sales and profits.
- Undertakes all aspects of inventory control including receiving, returns, annual physical inventory and maintaining adequate stock of best-selling items, including consignment merchandise. Develops and maintains inventory records of all merchandise including original art, consignment work and product development pieces.
- Searches for new products and working with a product development committee, initiates, develops and implements new merchandise to complement rotating exhibitions and support the Harn brand. In coordination with the consignment committee, solicits and selects original works of art through the consignment process for sale in the museum store.
- In coordination with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations, initiates and plans marketing strategies, sales promotions, and initiates sale opportunities related to various museum exhibitions and programs. Coordinates the creation, maintenance and rotation of product displays to create a visually interesting experience and stimulate consumers to spend more. Assists in measuring visitor response to marketing efforts for the museum.
- In coordination with the Human Resources Manager, hires, trains, evaluates, and works with museum store staff and sales volunteers to ensure outstanding customer service. Also responsible for terminating store staff.
Minimum Requirements: Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and two years of appropriate experience.
- Sound background in retail and wholesale business; and knowledge of inventory control, accounting and merchandising.
- Knowledge of product development particularly as it applies to a non-profit institution; creative; knowledge of visual display and appealing installations.
- Experience in supervising staff and volunteers and scheduling work.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Sound verbal and writing skills; excellent organizational skills; and self-motivated.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and to work well with others in a team situation.
- Must be able to lift and carry objects up to 30 pounds.
Advertised Salary: $34,400 to $38,440 annually
- To apply for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and names and contact information of three references at http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/507719/harn-museum-of-art-store-manager.
- More information about the Harn Museum of Art and its programs can be found at www.harn.ufl.edu.
- The Harn Museum of Art at the University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
- All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a review of criminal records, reference checks, and verification of education.