Part-Time Executive Director Job Description
The Palm Beach County Surfing History Project, Inc. (PBCSHP) seeks a part-time Executive Director to provide dynamic leadership and to direct fundraising, planning, volunteer recruitment, marketing, organization, and operations.
The Executive Director will work closely with the Project's Board of Directors to refine, develop, and administer programs for the Project. This includes administration of the Project's historical exhibits such as the Florida Surfing Museum as well as other exhibits. Priorities include fundraising, exhibit management, collections management and community outreach. Fundraising is emphasized to fund the Project's annual obligations and allow the Board to increase the Executive Director position to a full-time position as soon as possible, at the discretion of the Board.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Works in conjunction with the Board to develop the organization's strategic direction and establish initiatives to fulfill the mission of the Museum. Increase local, statewide and national awareness and prominence for the Museum.
- Directs the Museum's operations, to include marketing and programming, social media visibility and communication with Advisory Committee members. Maintains databases of email, phone and address contacts for outreach programs. Supervises design and operation of the Museum's retail store, including store inventory.
- Leads and participates in all fundraising and development activities, including grant writing. Develops strong relationships with foundations, corporations, and individual donors.
- Serves as spokesperson and chief advocate for the Museum. Establishes strong partnerships in the community, including government liaison. Enhances the Museum’s public image to expand interest and support.
- Directs public relations and marketing initiatives. Develops an effective communications plan to raise the profile of the Museum, including participation in community events.
- Manages, secures and maintains the property and facilities of the Museum, as well as the collections held by the Project.
- Works in conjunction with the Project's appointed committee chairs to implement plans and programs as directed by the Board.
- Minimum education requires a Bachelor’s degree. Ability to provide strong leadership, vision and strategic direction. Demonstrated fundraising skill is a priority qualification.
- Experience developing and implementing strategic plans.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standards and best practices for museums, non-profits, or similar organizations, as well as a history of involvement in relevant professional organizations.
- Strong record of success in audience development.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and public speaking.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively, diplomatically, and effectively with Boards, volunteers, and in community relations and outreach capacities.
- Competence in managing museum operations, including personnel matters and grant applications. Demonstrated ability to supervise, as well as to work successfully with museum staff, volunteers, and diverse public constituencies.
- Evidence of success in developing, managing, and growing an annual operating budget. Strong business management skills.
- Excellent planning, time management, and decision-making skills. Working knowledge of spreadsheet, database, email, calendar/scheduling, and word processing software.
- Willingness to work a variable schedule, including weekends and evenings when needed.
- Knowledge of surfing and the history of surfing is a plus, but not a requirement.
The Executive Director will be paid as an independent contractor at no more than $1,600.00 per month for a 12-month period at the discretion of the Board.
The PBCSHP is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit letter of interest and resume via email to David Mowry, Trustee, for consideration by the selection committee of the Palm Beach County Surfing History Project.
No regular mail or hard copies are to be submitted, only electronic copies.
David Mowry, Trustee