History of Diving Museum
Subsidized Internship (One Year) Job Description
Community Outreach Focus
Reports to: Director
Hours: 37.50 hours per week
The History of Diving Museum, located in Islamorada, Florida Keys, is looking for an enthusiastic student, recent graduate, or Emerging Museum Professional to engage in a subsidized internship at our young and vibrant cultural institution. The Museum includes a research library and more than 3,000 sq. ft. of interactive exhibits spanning over 4,000 years of diving history. Our collection ranges from ancient diving machines and armored diving suits for deep-sea exploration to one of the world’s largest collections of diving helmets.
The energetic team member we seek will be able to work in collections and visitor services with a strong focus on Community Outreach including marketing, social media and Educational Outreach events. This entry-level position is designed to provide valuable on-the-job training and hands-on opportunities in a variety of areas and disciplines at our growing Museum. As we are a small organization, the intern will be intimately involved with the Museum leadership, providing unparalleled career experience for the aspiring Museum Professional.
This is a full-time position. The candidate must be available to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings and some holidays as well as make a mandatory commitment through September, with the possibility of an extension. Compensation is provided in the form of housing and a bi-weekly stipend. Our location in the beautiful Florida Keys is in close proximity to many historic sites, cultural institutions, and a wide variety of recreational activities, providing the intern with the opportunity for a fun, exciting, educational and well-rounded life experience.
- Facilitate newsletter, social media, and other marketing and promotional efforts including updating website
- Plan, coordinate, and promote monthly seminars, special events, and community activities
- Assist with open and close of Museum on scheduled workdays.
- Answer telephones, inquiries and respond to correspondence as needed
- Assist other staff as needed
- Exhibit a pleasant, outgoing, and service-oriented personality
- Excellent verbal, social and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with computer skills and Microsoft Office programs
- Familiarity with computer graphics software a plus
- Familiarity with PastPerfect Museum software preferred
- Must be able to do light lifting
- Willing to submit to background check and to commit to supporting a drug-free workplace
Send letter of interest, resume, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please.