This position will assume a leadership role in the development and implementation of the Science Center’s educational and fee-based programs and oversees the daily operation of school programs, continuing education and off-site experiences and associated programs that complement and enhance local, state and national curriculum requirements.
- Responsible for managing all Orlando Science Center educational programs including school field trips, offsites, day camps, overnights, preschool, science competitions, birthday parties and educator workshops.
- Develops, manages, and implements OSC Education strategic goals for funded programs.
- Fosters relationships with external partners, develops timelines and contracts to ensure completion of all grant and sponsor deliverables for education priorities.
- Participates in development of and implements educational grant projects from foundations, corporations, and/or individuals.
- Assists team in establishing short and long-term objectives for all personnel; monitor progress, delays and conflicts in schedules to adjust goals and tasks accordingly. Ensures divisional activities are in line with overall strategic plan.
- Participates in the ongoing operational and strategic planning process as a member of the Science Center Senior Leadership Team.
- Maintains quality assurance of Education programs with the goal of enhancing attendance, revenue, and growth.
- Supervises education staff, including recruitment, training, and personnel evaluations and establish/review department priorities.
- Prepares and maintains Education Department budget in coordination with the Directors of Education Operations, Preschool, Education Initiatives, and STEM Learning and Engagement.
- Leads the education staff in development of education materials and curriculum for various programs, such as, but not limited to, education guides and program lesson plans.
- Develops and leads the evaluation strategy for all education offerings in alignment with the strategic objectives for learning and STEM engagement.
- Works collaboratively with Marketing and Development departments to effectively promote, manage and maintain community awareness and support of programs and priorities. Maintains editorial control of all departmental publications.
- Develops and implements annual calendar for educational events.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with area school administrators, districts and educational committees.
- Establishes general operating procedures to ensure the timely, cost effective and high quality execution of fee-based programs from concept to the final product.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Master’s degree with a minimum of 8 years relevant work experience, or 12 years relevant work experience.
- Broad education and community organizing experience with a minimum of 8 years’ experience in senior leadership roles in a science museum, aquarium, zoo, botanical garden or related informal learning and educationally oriented facility.
- Proven track record fostering and managing dynamic partnerships with the community and stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and museum visitors.
- Ability to work in a fast pace, team oriented environment.
- Excellent communication skills; presentation and public speaking.
- Reliable, organized, self-starter. Ability to work with little direct supervision.
- Enthusiastic, friendly, outgoing; must love working with people.
- The role provides leadership to a skilled team of program/content development professionals, with the support of the department’s four Directors. Reporting directly to the VP are: the Director of Education Operations, the Director of STEM Learning and Engagement, the Director of Education Initiatives and the Director of Preschool.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 45lbs.
Expected Hours of Work:
- Primarily Monday – Friday, with the ability to work flexible hours including early mornings, nights and weekends as necessary.
- Some travel required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to HRSpecialist@osc.org