Visitor Experience Manager
The Visitor Experience Manager is a key member of the organization’s management team, advising and reporting to the Executive Director. This Manager is responsible for all the day-to-day operations and activities of the Museum ensuring that every visitor has a fun, educational, safe, and memorable visit
We are an extraordinary not-for-profit organization and we’re looking for an extraordinary person to join our management team. If you’re OK with the status quo – this isn’t the role for you. We’re all about change. If you want to work alone and uninterrupted - this isn’t the role for you. We are a small, active team that supports each other. If you just want a job and don’t care passionately about why your work matters to our larger mission – this isn’t the role for you. We’re looking to change the world.
If you care deeply about providing the best visitor experience, are eager for new ideas, anxious to put your extensive management and people skills to use in an organization that will appreciate them, challenge old assumptions, and look to you for leadership, then we might have a fit. If you’re happy to do the sometimes unglamorous work because you know that it may mean that a visitor thinks differently about the world – that’s great. If you can juggle today’s crisis while planning next year’s programming – then this might be the job for you.
If you are really good with people: hiring, directing and supervising staff, supporting and managing volunteers, making our visitors feel special, taking the extra time to make a special impression and are also willing to take out the trash if we get stuck, then you might fit into our team. If you can self-manage your time to meet deadlines, if you’re eager to help our other team members meet their goals and move the organization forward then we might have a place for you. If you are willing to work late or come in early to get the job done when we’re all in the middle of tourist season that matters to us. If you care that your work can help change the world, then we should talk. We love what we do and know that the right Visitor Experience Manager will find joy here as we have.
The position is full time/exempt. The position is Wednesday – Sunday. We are looking for a true partner to help lead this exciting, financially sound non-profit in a pro-active, enthusiastic and responsible manner. Salary $35,000 - $45,000. Excellent benefits. Apply with cover letter and resume to: Dhipschman@shellmuseum.org. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
- Hire, train and supervise our Visitor Services team of 7-9 people
- Set and maintain visitor services standards
- Handle visitor concerns, comments and complaints
- Create and manage staffing schedules
- Create and manage museum volunteers
- Plan, schedule and ensure that the museums high quality daily programs run smoothly, effectively
- Manage Petty Cash, cash drawers and bank deposits
- Schedule, book and staff museum special events and programs
- Manage all details of Museum fund raising events
- Meet admission and membership financial goals
- Manage Museum group tours
- Inventory and order museum supplies
- Supervise facilities, grounds and landscaping staff
- Ensure that the Museum is clean, comfortable and welcoming for our visitors
- Ensure that all museum exhibits are operational, clean
- Customer service experience at the mid or senior management level
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience with a diverse team of employees and volunteers
- 3-5 years of experience working with the public
- Hospitality, museum, tourism, attractions experience or comparable
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours, think independently, take initiative and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people and personalities of all levels within and outside the museum.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively problem solve and grace under pressure
- Special event planning and execution
- Ability to handle a large variety of complex tasks and prioritize work flow in a fast-paced environment
- Sense of humor and ability to keep the big picture while managing the day-to-day operations