What is a collection management and development policy?
In museums, the usual term is collection management policy, whereas in archives and libraries this document is often referred to as a collection development policy. Considerations include:
- Scope of collections
- Acquisition, accession, selection criteria, types of materials, types of collections, cataloguing, inventory, documentation, deaccession, weeding, and removal (sale, trade, transfer, or disposal)
- Care of collections, protection and preventative conservation, handling of collection materials, culturally sensitive objects, storage, integrated pest management
- Access to and use of collections, reproduction, copyright and ownership
- Insurance, risk management, valuation, appraisal, legal issues
- Educating stakeholders about importance of the collection