The Collections Management Policy/Development Policy is a critical guiding document for museums, libraries, archives, special collections and zoos. It is important that the staff is educated on how this document functions within the institution. This module includes discussion of best practices for teaching staff about the collections policy and how and why it functions as an important guiding document.
Note: When viewing the webinars a new browser page will open.
Training the entire staff of your institution about the importance of your collections management policy is imperative for it to function properly.
- How will you develop training exercises with staff on utilizing policies?
- What opportunities can you create to educate staff about policies?
- What types of training exercises can you do with your staff?
Utilizing the game spinner have each participant take a turn at the spinner. Read the question or topic to the group and discuss among the group. Use examples from your policy or institution.
Florida Association of Museums, Collections Mgmt & Dvlpment Policies Samples: http://www.flamuseums.org/professional-development/florida-connecting-to-collections-program/2016-collections-policies-collections-care-enhancement/collectionspolicies/collection-management-development-policies-samples/
Note: When viewing the samples a new browser page will open.
American Alliance of Museums, Collections Stewardsip: http://www.aam-us.org/resources/ethics-standards-and-best-practices/collections-stewardship
- Annual Conference
- Peer Coaching Program
- Mentorship Program
Florida Connecting to Collections Program
Collections Development & Management Policies
- Guiding Documents: Policies vs. Plans
- Scope of Collections/Categories of Collections
- Acquisitions & Accessions / Deaccessions & Disposals
- Access and Use
- Collections Care and Maintenance
- Inventory & Audits
- Intellectual Property
- Educating Elected Officials
- Training and Practical Applications
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Putting Your Document Together
- 2013 Collections Mgmt & Development Policies
- Emergency Plans
- Collections Development & Management Policies
- Professional Resources