Job Description: Part-Time Collections Assistant
The Collections Assistant serves on the Collections Team in the Museum Experience Department of the Bishop Museum of Science and Nature under the supervision of the Curator of Collections. They aid in the processing, inventory, and stewardship of objects in the Bishop Collection and support the Curator of Collections with larger projects.
- Catalog Objects in the permanent collection per The Bishop cataloging standards.
- Conduct thorough historical research on objects using a variety of resources.
- Conduct routine condition reports of collections objects.
- Create or update digital profiles in the museum’s CMS, digitize analog records, and capture high quality digital images of objects.
- Help maintain the cleanliness and care of permanent collections objects on exhibit.
- Collaborate with the Curator and other collections staff/volunteers/interns on projects.
- Conducts collections inventories.
- Knowledge and commitment of museum collections best practices, standards, and ethics.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work individually with minimal supervision or collaboratively as a team.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of, or willingness to learn, how to use the Collections Management Database Past Perfect 5.0.
- Patience, attention to detail, and strong organizational skills.
- A positive attitude, willingness to learn new skills, and a passion for working with a variety of museum collections.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
Range of Experience
- Currently have or are actively pursuing a degree in museum studies, history, anthropology, or other science field.
- Or 3+ years’ experience in collections work
$15.00-$16.00 per hour. Salary is dependent on experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Tiffany La Britt, Curator of Collections.
Email to: TLaBritt@BishopScience.org
Tiffany La Britt
The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature
PO Box 9265
Bradenton, Florida 34206