Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and accredited museum in Miami, Florida (www.vizcaya.org). The Collections Care Technician performs technical work in the preservation and care of historic interiors and associated art and architectural collections at Vizcaya and is responsible for the cleaning, care and condition monitoring of Vizcaya’s historic interiors and associated collections of antique furniture, carpets, oil paintings, decorative objects and sculpture. The position is on the Engagement & Cultural Resources Team in the Art and Artifact Stewardship Department, and reports to the Conservator.
Vizcaya is owned by Miami-Dade County and is operated by the non-profit Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Trust, Inc. Our mission is to preserve the estate’s cultural and environmental resources to engage people in connecting with the past, understanding the present and shaping the future. Our vision is to position Vizcaya as an enduring, inclusive and innovative place that inspires people to embrace the cultural vitality and environmental sustainability of the world around us.
- Conduct daily/weekly walk-throughs of the collection and inspect artwork regularly.
- Complete hands-on dry cleaning and cyclic housekeeping in decorated spaces using knowledge of professional standards for collections care.
- Support the Collections Care Specialist to monitor environmental and collection conditions.
- Support the Conservator with cyclic maintenance projects, object handling, accompanying subcontractors on site and assisting, as needed, in the conservation treatment of objects.
- Record and maintain the integrated pest management program.
- Assist the department with emergency preparedness efforts, including assisting in the training of museum staff from other departments.
- Support project and departmental records management.
- Assist with maintaining appropriate storage conditions, rehousing collection objects, labeling and tracking objects, and various department initiatives as needed.
- Prepare room condition notes and other maintenance and condition reports, as needed.
- Provide oversight and/or training to contracted technicians, interns, volunteers, and museum staff from other departments assisting the department, as needed.
- Practice proper care and handling of fragile and delicate museum items in all tasks.
This job description is not designed to be comprehensive; duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Achieve meaningful and timely actions that advance Vizcaya’s mission, vision and strategic plan.
- Proactively promote communication, collaboration and customer service.
- Engage in internal committees as appropriate and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Understand and comply with Vizcaya’s policies and procedures.
- At least 1 year of experience in collections care or related museum experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, art history or a related field.
- Deep and current knowledge and ability to apply accepted principles and practices of collections care/preventive conservation.
- Familiarity with current registration practices and cataloging standards.
- English fluency.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
Factors Vizcaya Will Consider When Evaluating Applicants and Determining Compensation
- Additional relevant work experience, training and education.
- Spanish, Haitian Creole and other language skills.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens offers competitive compensation with generous paid leave, retirement benefits, and robust medical and other insurance for full-time employees. Salary will be based on the selected candidate’s experience and skills. The anticipated compensation is approximately $4,000 for someone meeting the requirements of the position to approximately $46,000 for someone exceeding them.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The work is preformed indoors and outdoors as needed and occasionally at off-site storage facilities; it involves frequent interactions with other staff and outside contractors. There is some exposure to heat, dust, mold and dirt. This job requires the ability to lift 50 pounds and have hand dexterity and body awareness, to stand for long periods of time, to stoop, to reach, to climb, to bend at waist, and to occasionally climb and work off ladders and scaffolding. Vizcaya is a non-smoking environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Schedule
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position. Periodic evening and weekend work are required.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter expressing your interest in this position to: HRVizcaya@vizcaya.org. Please reference the position title in the subject line of your email.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is committed to equity and inclusion and is engaged in a strategic process to ensure that our staff, Board and volunteers reflect our community’s diversity. Vizcaya welcomes applicants from groups that are underrepresented in cultural organizations and seeks to recruit, develop and retain a diverse workforce.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Vizcaya respects people of all backgrounds and does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, familial status, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics protected by law.
Updated May 18, 2022