Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: 37.50 hours per week
The History of Diving Museum, located in Islamorada, Florida Keys, is looking for an enthusiastic student, recent graduate, or Emerging Museum Professional to engage in a subsidized internship at our vibrant cultural institution. The Museum includes a research library and more than 3,000 sq. ft. of interactive exhibits spanning over 4,000 years of diving history. Our collection ranges from ancient diving machines and armored diving suits for deep-sea exploration to one of the world’s largest collections of diving helmets.
The energetic team member we seek will be focused on Community Outreach including marketing, media and press releases, and advertising along with social media and educational outreach while also being exposed to collections and visitor services. This entry-level position is designed to provide valuable on-the-job training and hands-on opportunities in a variety of areas and disciplines at our Museum including program development, events, group visits and membership management. As we are a small organization, the intern will be intimately involved with the Museum leadership, providing unparalleled career experience for the aspiring Museum Professional.
The candidate must be available to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings and some holidays as well as make a mandatory commitment through December, with the possibility of an extension. Compensation is provided in the form of housing and a bi-weekly stipend. Our location in the beautiful Florida Keys is in close proximity to many historic sites, cultural institutions, and a wide variety of recreational activities, providing the intern with the opportunity for a fun, exciting, educational and well-rounded life experience.
- Create marketing and advertising material. Facilitate newsletter, social media, and other promotional efforts including media and press releases, and updating website
- Represent the History of Diving Museum by building relationships with schools, businesses, clubs, and other organizations to expand educational outreach and group visitation
- Plan, coordinate, and promote monthly seminars, special events, and community activities
- Maintain and expand membership through direct contact and promotional programming
- Manage and develop web presence, including (but not limited to) Museum website, social media and community calendars.
Additional Duties (All Staff)
- Assist with open and close of Museum, ensure proper engagement of the facility’s security systems, and monitoring surveillance cameras
- Assist with cleanliness of Museum Store, display areas, restrooms, door entry, etc. – clean and sanitize periodically throughout day as needed and at end of each day.
- Answer phones and respond to correspondence, emails and inquiries
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Executive Director
- Exhibit a pleasant, outgoing, and service-oriented personality
- Excellent verbal, social and interpersonal skills
- Must be self-motivated, detail-orientated and able to manage multiple projects at one time
- Proficient with computer skills, Microsoft Office applications, computer graphics and social media
- Familiarity with PastPerfect or similar Museum collection and content management software preferred
- Must be able to do light lifting and to stand and walk as necessary to complete duties
- Willing to submit to background check and to commit to supporting a drug-free workplace
Send letter of interest, resume, and 3 professional references to email@example.com. No phone calls please.