Position: Community Relations Specialist Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Reports to: Executive Director
Description: Position includes all aspects of marketing, media releases and advertising; oversees the Museum’s community involvement through outreach, events, group visits, and membership management as well as assist in other areas as needed. Works under direction of Executive Director.
This position is based in Islamorada, Florida. Applicants must have a positive and professional attitude, be self-motivated, reliable and display strong core characteristics. A History of Diving Museum (HDM) team member is a multi-tasker who is expected to think critically while being intuitive. HDM operates with a small, devoted staff that requires the sustained ability to work harmoniously with the HDM team, the public, HDM partners and the media. Staffing positions may require a team member to adjust unexpectedly to changes and readily solve problems.
In order to best serve the public, the Museum is open 7 days a week, 362 days a year. Working some nights, weekends and holidays is normal and customary with this dedicated staff.
Mission Statement: The Florida Keys History of Diving Museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving, displaying and interpreting artifacts, antiques, books, documents, photographs and oral history relative to the History of Diving. We tell the international story of the attempts to explore, understand and venture under the sea. We also celebrate the special role that South Florida and the Florida Keys played in this untold story.
- Prepare press releases, advertising, and marketing materials to promote activities including (but not limited to) exhibits, events, and outreach
- Manage web presence, including (but not limited to) Museum website, social media engagement, and community calendars
- Manage e-blast/newsletters and event reminders
- Maintain list of rack card locations and manage distribution to same to ensure presence in the community
- Plan, coordinate, and promote monthly seminars, special events, and additional community activities, including all advertising and promotion as well as set-up and clean-up
- Represent the History of Diving Museum by building relationships with businesses, schools, clubs, and other organizations to expand programming, educational outreach and group visitation
- Explore and promote facility rental opportunities for both museum and library/conference room
- Expand membership through direct contact and promotional programming
Additional Duties (All Staff)
- Assist with open and close of Museum, ensure proper engagement of the facility’s security systems, and monitoring surveillance cameras
- Assist with cleanliness of Museum, store, display areas, restrooms, door entry, etc. – clean and sanitize periodically throughout day as needed and at end of each day.
- Answer phones, take and forward messages as needed, respond to correspondence, emails and inquiries in a professional manner
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, marketing, business or related fields
- 3-5 years within marketing, community or non-profit activities
- Proficiency in computer skills, Microsoft Office applications, computer graphics and social media
- Familiarity with PastPerfect or similar Museum collection, content or donor management software
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Exhibit a pleasant, outgoing and service-oriented personality
- Strong organizational, planning skills and attention to detail are critical
- Excellent communications in English both orally and in writing
- Must be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects at one time
- Flexible, versatile, and creative with ability to work as part of a team as well as independently while faithfully executing responsibilities
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Critical thinking to adapt or modify processes in response to changing circumstances
- Solve routine problems independently, consulting with the Executive Director for unusual or complex problems
- Self-motivated: identify and implement changes and improvements to processes and procedures
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs and use a ladder as necessary to complete duties
- Available to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings and some holidays
- Willing to submit background check and commit to supporting a drug-free workplace
Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to apply
Send letter of interest, resume that is reflects related experience concisely and directly addresses items in this position description, compensation history and expectations, along with 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.