Reports To: CEO/Executive Director
Supervises: Associate Director of Special Events & Corporate Relations, Associate Director of Sales & Registration, Associate Director of Traveling Exhibit Sales & Community Relations, Marketing Manager, Graphic Design Coordinator, Development & Data Coordinator
Other: Evening and Weekend Hours as required
The Director of External Relations is tasked with creating and implementing public relations, marketing and/or communications strategies; developing fundraising plans; department budgeting; building and fostering relationships with constituents; and enhancing the organization's public image and brand. They must be talented at inspiring consensus and can work in partnership with all levels of internal staff as well as other community organizations and leadership to carry out the mission of the Museum.
We compete in a market that offers every visitor to this community entertainment options that are second to none. The importance of a consistent message and an imprinted brand cannot be overstated. This role is responsible for assuring that the Museum’s message is clear and consistent and that the brand is in front of our community and those visiting our community. The leader of this function develops and coordinates messaging, advertising, public relations, promotions, membership, communications, special events, visitor services, and on-going community involvement strategies.
- Leads the external relations team which includes the marketing, development and all contractors who handle social media, advertising & public relations
- Works closely with CEO, and development team to develop funding, business and sponsorship concepts and prepare proposal content in-line with the Museum’s mission and priorities.
- Functions as a member of the Senior Management Team which has accountability for collaboratively assuring the on-going success of the Museum
- Research, identify and secure new funding sources for the Museum
- Monitor the Marketing and Development budget; and evaluate performance of staff
- Accountable for developing, communicating and maintaining departmental policies
- Serve as the spokesperson of the Museum. Utilize staff, Board Members, and volunteers in developing and implementing a vital marketing program and maintaining a high degree of visibility in all the media.
- Work with staff, graphic designers, and printers to produce printed materials.
- Implement surveys within the community and assures that the user feedback is integrated into the executive and operational planning processes
- Develop relationships with tourist industry representatives responsible for promoting and scheduling tours
- Maintain the content accuracy/currency of the Museum website and insures the proper use of social media platforms in the messaging and branding of the Museum’s services and products
- Work closely with the CEO to develop and manage strategic external relationships and partnerships with key leaders and organizations in the business, government, nonprofit and philanthropic sectors.
- Works to expand relationships with community-based youth and arts organizations to increase revenue generating opportunities for the MCM’s multi-disciplinary programs.
- A Bachelor's degree is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- 8+ years direct experience in Marketing, Public Relations or related field
- Experience creating strategy, goals and objectives and successfully executing those strategies
- Experience in marketing and public relations essential, business development/fundraising a plus
- Ability to take initiative in challenging situations, work collaboratively with both external relations colleagues and operations management colleagues, manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Experience building and leading a centralized external relations effort
- Demonstrated track record of securing new revenue from corporate or private sources
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Extraordinary attention to detail as demonstrated in previous experiences
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.