Positions #45945497 & #45945490
OPS Museum Education Program Representative
Division of Historical Resources
$13.50 per hour, 28 hours per week
The Grove Museum announces the availability of two part-time positions to assist with daily museum operations and with collections management.
- Assisting with day-to-day museum operations, including:
- Performing site opening/closing procedures and light housekeeping o Giving guided tours of the house and grounds for all ages on the history of slavery and civil rights in the United States
- Contributing to educational programs, outreach, and special events o Performing collections care, collections management, and exhibit installation with supervision
- Performing research on the site’s history and its museum collections o Record-keeping and administrative tasks as needed
- Assisting with other Department of State activities or initiatives as needed
- At least four (4) months of part-time paid or volunteer work experience in a museum, archives, library, or cultural organization
- At least 60 credit hours towards a degree from an accredited college/university in history, art history, museum studies, humanities, anthropology, social sciences or a related field
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends
- Availability to work Wednesday to Saturday between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Knowledge of civil rights issues in American history
- Experience communicating and facilitating dialogue with public or with peers about difficult subjects in American history, including but not limited to the history of slavery and civil rights in the United States
- Experience handling and caring for archival, archaeological, or museum collections objects
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to discuss difficult history with the public, including the history of slavery and civil rights in the United States
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in spaces and with objects that might be dirty or dusty
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions
- Ability to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, reach, stretch, and/or twist
- Ability to perform light housekeeping duties, such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, and cleaning restrooms
- Ability to lift, move, carry, and/or push items weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to understand and follow established procedures and policies
- Proficiency in standard office software
Please submit a resume showing your qualifications for this position; a cover letter explaining your interest in working for The Grove Museum and a copy of college transcripts to Johnathan.Grandage@dos.myflorida.com.
Criminal Background Checks:
A level 2 criminal background check is a condition of employment. If selected for this position, you must provide your fingerprints. We will send your fingerprints to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a criminal background check.
We are committed to enhancing our workforce through the employment of veterans, individuals with disabilities, and seek qualified candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds, abilities, skills, and talents to join our inclusive workforce.
Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website: https://www.sss.gov.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority. Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Application or resume must include all previous employment.