TEXT "DIVE" TO APPLY (786) 980-9507
Exhibit Dive Specialists assist with the maintenance of the large aquarium exhibits. This part time position is scheduled for three days per week, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 6:30a.m.-11:30a.m. for a total of 15 hours over 3 morning shifts. Dives will be conducted before visitor hours to maintain aesthetics of the aquarium exhibits. Employment will be contingent upon the candidate passing a dive physical. Exhibit Dive Specialists will be required to work as a team with little supervision. This position reports directly to the Assistant Dive Safety Officer, and will work in conjunction with the husbandry staff and husbandry team managers. The ideal candidates will have knowledge of OSHA diving standards and scientific diving. This position requires a high level of physical fitness and comfort in the water to be successful.
- Dive aquarium exhibits to clean with hand tools and hydraulic hull scrubber.
- Follow all rules set by the Museum’s Dive Safety Manual.
- Follow all rules regarding animal interactions while diving in aquarium exhibits.
- Undergo dive training, check out dives, dive medical examinations and CPR, First Aid, and Oxygen Administration training.
- Maintain necessary records.
- Assist with opening procedures for the Husbandry Department.
- Completes all assigned work in an efficient and timely manner.
- Responsible for care and maintenance of equipment, supplies, and facilities associated with diving operations.
- Adheres to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Work on other areas, tasks or other collaborative teams as needed and as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB/EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Nationally recognized certification as an Open Water Scuba Diver. Certification as Rescue Diver or higher preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience in aquarium or zoo diving program is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of OSHA diving standards or scientific diving desired.
- Ability to follow direction.
- Must be proficient in SCUBA procedures.
- Must be adept at observation to watch for any signs of poor weather, unsafe diving conditions, broken equipment, or animal behavior.
- Must have capacity to decide when to act independently and when to seek consultation from department managers.
- Familiarity with computers is necessary; must be able to log and record data.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with creativity, curiosity, integrity and determination.
- Valid Florida Drivers’ License or the ability to acquire one.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
Work is done in aquarium exhibits that requires SCUBA diving. Equipment including exposure protection will be provided to each staff member. Exhibit Dive Specialists will work in a 4-person team with 2 staff diving and 2 staff topside each dive. Positions within this dive team will be rotated. Staff will be expected to use a variety of equipment and other circumstances that include increased physical risk and exposure to adverse environmental conditions. This position involves a sustained and consistent high level of physical exertion to operate the hydraulic equipment. This position may require lifting of heavy objects in excess of 50 lbs, frequent bending, walking, climbing, reaching, and working hands on with living and non-living specimens, technology, and machinery that requires acute vision and hand dexterity. The position also requires the ability to work holidays and non-traditional hours to accomplish the necessary tasks on schedule.
- Level 2 background clearance as defined by Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
- Drug screening as part of the Drug Free Workplace Program.
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine(s) by date of hire to be considered for employment unless applicant is eligible for an exemption pursuant to all applicable laws.
APPLY NOW: https://www.frostscience.org/careers/