The LSS Technician is responsible for the operation and maintenance of all large scale LSS systems within the Frost Science Museum complex. This staff person also assists the Aquarist Team as needed with respect to modifications / additions regarding the small scale, self-standing LSS packages. The LSS Technician works collaboratively throughout the Museum in a creative environment and contributes to the efficient operation of the department. This position works a schedule set by the supervisor and may encompass non-traditional days and hours and may be asked to report to work for life support or animal care emergencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow all policies and procedures of Frost Science Museum, and the Animal Husbandry Department.
- Adhere to all federal and state guidelines, regulations, and laws.
- Perform regular mechanical, electrical, and plumbing repairs and preventative maintenance.
- Supervised operation of all LSS.
- Conduct rounds of all filtration areas to inspect pumps, motors, ozone generators, chillers, boilers, and other related LSS equipment.
- Water testing using correct lab practices and procedures (as needed).
- Supervised addition of chemicals to LSS.
- Maintain communication with Supervisors and other disciplines within the Life Support Team and Animal Husbandry Department.
- Use computers for communication, LSS monitoring/operation, reference, and reports/logs.
- Use of radio based communication equipment.
- Keep records and inventory.
- Assist (if needed) in animal medical procedures.
- Assist (if needed) in animal moves and transport operations.
- Perform back of house educational lectures and conduct tours of LSS spaces as assigned.
- Participate in the inter- and intra-departmental cross training program.
- Cleans back-up areas including scrubbing, mopping, vacuuming water and pest control.
- Participates in system design and fabrication in keeping with animal behavior and biological needs.
- Participates in and presents at workshops, seminars, lectures, member programs and tours.
- Responds life-support and animal related emergencies, at times after hours.
- Provides back-up support to other departments as needed.
- Adheres to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Ensures that goals for an excellent visitor experience are met and maintained.
- Other duties as assigned or required
- Coordinates daily activities though effective communication with staff and volunteers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of life support systems and water quality parameters for aquatic species.
- Knowledge of life support automation control hardware and software. Experience with METASYS preferred.
- Knowledge of plumbing fundamentals, automation controls and basic fabrication preferred.
- Must have keen observation skills and be highly detail-oriented and adept at problem solving.
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot problems.
- Ability to decide when to act independently and when to seek consultation of curatorial staff.
- Ability to mentor and train new interns, volunteers and staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional business relationships with co-workers, volunteer staff, interns, colleagues at other facilities and outside vendors.
- Ability to work holidays, weekends and a non-traditional work week as well as respond to after-hours emergencies.
- Requires the willingness to work with chemicals (PPE provided) and follow MSDS/SDS.
- Skill in organizing resources and maintaining priorities.
- Skill in database management.
- Ability to construct and operate aquatic Life Support Systems, including plumbing and carpentry.
- Knowledge in mechanical and electrical repair work.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Ability to work collaboratively to implement Museum and departmental goals.
- Ability to manage and impart information to a range of clientele, staff members and/or media sources.
- Ability to follow laws and regulations relating to the care of wildlife in accordance with the Museum and industry best practices.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials using basic computer skills in Word, Excel, internet navigation, e-mail and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Able to work well with supervisors and staff.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED required. Associates or technical degree in related field desirable.
- Previous experience in life support operation at an aquarium or zoo through internships, volunteer work, or full-time position (work in an AZA accredited facility is preferred).
- Previous experience with Johnson Controls Metasys systems is highly desirable.
- Driver’s license or ability to get one.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle, or feel; and talk and hear. The employee is required to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time, along with climbing and reaching with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move from to 50 to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Must be able to work in high and low/ places.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those as employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work is performed both indoors and in outdoor settings. Outdoor work subject to temperatures up to 100 degrees, rain, humidity and sun. Pump room environment has high noise level (PPE Provided).
- Level 2 background clearance as defined by Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
- Drug screening as part of the Drug Free Workplace Programs
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine(s) by date of hire to be considered for employment unless applicant is eligible for an exemption pursuant to all applicable laws.
APPLY NOW: https://www.frostscience.org/careers/