Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and accredited museum in Miami, Florida (www.vizcaya.org). Under the direction of the Maintenance Chief, the Maintenance Repairer will assist in the facility’s maintenance by working cooperatively with Maintenance Technicians and Custodial Workers. This position is responsible for monitoring, repairing, updating, and replacing components of the facility’s systems, structures and buildings—inside, outside, and on the estate’s grounds.
Vizcaya is owned by Miami-Dade County and is operated by the non-profit Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Trust, Inc. Our mission is to preserve the estate’s cultural and environmental resources to engage people in connecting with the past, understanding the present and shaping the future. Our vision is to position Vizcaya as an enduring, inclusive and innovative place that inspires people to embrace the cultural vitality and environmental sustainability of the world around us.
- Works cooperatively with Maintenance Technicians to ensure all facilities systems work to minimize any negative impact on the daily operation and with Custodial Workers in maintaining a clean facility.
- Utilizes semi-skills of the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, refrigeration, painting, carpentry, and any other construction or specialty trades.
- Operates cleaning equipment to include automatic floor cleaning equipment, power washers, regular and wet-dry vacuums.
- Cleans and inspects tools and equipment, adjusts and minor repairs, installs new parts.
- Loads and unloads materials, assists in inventory, and storage.
- Cleans private and public spaces, including restrooms, and removal of trash and recycling, as needed.
- Ensures safety for staff and visitors with appropriate signage, stanchions, and other visual notification measures.
- Provides logistical support for various events, including setting up and breaking down/storing tables, chairs, other furnishings, equipment, and materials. Monitors events for issues and addresses them quickly and safely. Provides onsite support for requests. Keep restrooms cleaned and stocked and cleans up post-event.
This job description is not designed to be comprehensive; duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens offers competitive compensation with $17.00 an hour, generous paid leave, a retirement benefits, and robust medical and other insurance for full-time employees.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is committed to equity and inclusion and is engaged in a strategic process to ensure that our staff, Board and volunteers reflect our community’s diversity. Vizcaya welcomes applicants from groups that are underrepresented in cultural organizations and seeks to recruit, develop and retain a diverse workforce.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Vizcaya respects people of all backgrounds and does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, familial status, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics protected by law.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter expressing your interest in this position to: HRVizcaya@vizcaya.org
Education and Work Experience
- Required: High School Diploma or GED. Two years of experience in building maintenance or construction trades is required.
- Preferred: High School Diploma or GED, with three years of experience in building maintenance or construction trades with certification in one or more trades. With at least 6 months in a Historic property.
Skills and Attributes
- Positive attitude
- Verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Quality awareness and attention to detail
- Time management and multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Math skills
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Work is conducted both indoors and outside. Physical strength and stamina are required for standing and walking for long periods, climbing ladders, as well as lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds. Vizcaya is a non-smoking environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Schedule
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position.