Museum Educators facilitate high quality guest experiences for Museum visitors by developing and delivering our family, youth, and public programs in support of the Museum’s mission to engage and inspire learners of all ages in science, natural history, and culture.
This is a part-time position with a variable schedule of 10-20 hours per week, depending on Museum tour and program needs. A minimum availability of three full days between Wednesday and Sunday is required, including at least one full Saturday and/or Sunday. The Museum is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays; however camp and other programming may be offered on those days.
- Provide both formal and informal interpretation in all areas of the Museum, including the Mosaic Backyard Universe, for school groups of all grade levels, adult groups and general museum visitors.
- Lead groups on Museum field trips, virtual field trips, and tours, facilitating age-appropriate, customized learning experiences.
- Present stories and talking points on topics related to general science, astronomy, paleontology, archaeology, ecology, and Florida history.
- Facilitate the Mosaic Backyard Universe, including engaging with guests and maintaining exhibition cleanliness.
- Assist with Museum programming such as science camp, community literacy initiatives, astronomy workshops, and outreach programs.
- Organize and maintain educational materials: discovery carts, biofacts, supplies and museum collection items.
- Follow established guidelines to support the safety of guests, animals, and collection items.
- Help maintain program and training materials ensuring dissemination of the most up-to-date information
- Greet and organize groups upon arrival.
- Assist in training new staff and education volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent customer service, presentation and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to learn and share information on a variety of topics, and cross-train in a variety of Museum areas including the Manatee Habitat and Planetarium
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to work independently and with a team with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable working with groups of all ages
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office as well as technology items such as tablets, iPads, microphones and the like
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include weekdays, weekends, and evenings.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift, pull and push 25 pounds
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in related field(s) or working toward such a degree (if still in college, you will be asked to provide your course schedule each semester)
- Experience in education, museum or public presentation/performance fields is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience working with children, preferably in a group setting.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume and references to BFacer@BishopScience.org or HR, Bishop Museum of Science and Nature, P.O. Box 9265, Bradenton, FL 34206. No phone calls, please.