A fast-growing hub of creativity, Florida’s Tampa Bay region is ready to welcome its next professional leader to guide the Museum of Science and Industry into a new era of excellence.
MOSI, Tampa Bay’s cornerstone of STEAM learning for nearly 60 years, is seeking a new President/CEO with a proven track record in museum leadership. With a mission to be the intersection of science, technology, and innovation – a place where conversations and learning happen, knowledge is exchanged, and new ideas are celebrated – MOSI aspires to inspire people of all ages through exciting and immersive experiences.
Located in North Tampa, MOSI is a veritable scientific playground with more than 100 hands-on activities, permanent and temporary exhibitions, a planetarium, ropes course, virtual reality simulator, and makerspace. MOSI annually attracts and supports:
- 147,000 campus visitors
- 1,800 children and youth during out-of-school-time camps
- 52,000 students in standards-based field trips
- 31,000 people through outreach programs and community events
For the past five years, MOSI leadership has focused on creating solid financial strategies, public partnerships (with both Hillsborough County and the City of Tampa), and board governance practices. Now, having successfully weathered the pandemic, the institution is poised for growth.
The ideal President/CEO will be capable of inspiring a collaborative spirit and shared goals among the Board of Directors, professional staff, public partners, community leaders, and philanthropists in support of MOSI’s mission and impact in the region.
The successful candidate will be a professional with:
- A passion for science and informal learning supported by a graduate-level education or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- A history of successful management as a museum director or leader of a major department within a large museum including experience with all facets of museum management, specifically finances, fundraising, museum operations, facilities, and exhibition enhancement.
- A history of fundraising leadership and success guiding fundraising programs that align with an organization’s mission and goals.
- A track record of nurturing, coaching, and retaining highly motivated and professionally successful personnel.
- The ability to work closely, cordially, and transparently with a volunteer Board of Directors and its officers.
- Established skill as a persuasive and charismatic communicator who successfully attracts, builds, and sustains mission-driven relationships with public officials, community leaders, and philanthropists.
- Experience with strategic planning, goal setting, and operational planning.
- A commitment to maintaining a campus environment attractive to diverse populations and free from discrimination and harassment as articulated by federal law.
Ultimately, the President/CEO will report to the Board of Directors and be responsible for the overall planning, development, and management of MOSI with specific emphasis on strategy and execution; fund development leadership; business and finance; community partnerships; and staff development.
Qualified candidates interested in learning more can click here to view the full invitation to apply at www.mosi.org/get-involved/employment/. Please send a current resume and letter of introduction addressed to the MOSI Search Committee to firstname.lastname@example.org.