Please go to DOS- Senior Museum Curator - 45000319 (myflorida.com) for complete information and to apply.
Requisition No: 484599
Agency: Department of State
Working Title: DOS- Senior Museum Curator - 45000319
Position Number: 45000319
Salary: $40,000.00- $41,000.00
Posting Closing Date: 10/29/2021
Division of Historical Resources
Bureau of Historical Museums
The Grove Museum
- Master’s degree in history, American studies, anthropology, art history, humanities, public history, museum studies or related field.
- Two (2) years full time or part time experience working, interning, or volunteering in a museum, archive, or arts and culture organization.
- One (1) year full time or part time experience working, interning, or volunteering with historical collections and research.
- Cover Letter.
- Knowledge of history museums, historic house museums or arts and culture sites with history collections.
- Knowledge of the history of slavery and civil rights in the United States and skills related to engaging with the public about these histories.
- Knowledge of the care and management of historical objects.
- Curatorial knowledge and exhibition installation knowledge and skills.
- Strong technology skills including Microsoft Office products and collections management systems.
- Strong writing, collaboration, and public speaking and engagement skills.
Responses to qualifying questions must be clearly supported in your employment history.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Serves as curator or historian on collaborative exhibit and project teams, including research, exhibit planning, initiating/facilitating the loan or acquisition of artifacts, preparing/installing exhibit artifacts and writing interpretive material on historical topics, exhibits, and collections. Prepares, reviews, and edits exhibit scripts, reports, brochures, newsletter articles and other printed and electronic interpretive and publicity materials. Creates media presentations; provides public presentations; and gives tours on American history and civil rights, material culture, and the care and preservation of collections. Assists in the care and management of the Grove Museum collections and collections database. Performs research and documentation on collections, which may include condition reporting, cataloging, photographing, scanning, marking, and inventory. Works with staff/volunteers on collection management projects. Works with curators preparing mounts, framing, painting, etc. Assists with care and management of Museum equipment, facilities, and grounds. Meets with and observes contractors, including regular maintenance and historic preservation projects. Researches and responds to public requests for information on objects in the Grove collection, as well as for historical information, object identification, and methods of preservation. Provides written and/or verbal input on acquisitions, conservation, and collections policy.
Assists Knott House Museum with collections management as allowed with consideration of Grove responsibilities. This could include assistance with planning and coordinating the maintenance of collections and collections databases and performing research and documentation on collections. Other collections assistance may include working with staff/volunteers on collections management projects and participating in the installation of exhibits.
Performs other related duties as required, including contributing to the care and maintenance of the museum, grounds, objects, and exhibits; preparing for and cleaning up from the impacts of extreme weather conditions; assisting at Museum public events; and performing site opening and closing procedures, light housekeeping, recordkeeping, and overall administrative support.