When institutions first consider developing emergency plans, the salvage and recovery of objects that are damaged by disasters is a primary focus. The salvage and recovery techniques used on various types of objects including, but not limited to, archival items (books, paper, photographs, electronic media, paintings) and other artifacts (inorganics, wood/furniture, textiles, and natural history collections) all aim to slow the process of deterioriation various objects will undergo when they have been damaged. Techniques to be discussed in this module should be considered first response actions that will slow the process of deterioration. Trained conservators or salvage companies will need to then be involved in the long-term salvage, recovery, and preservation of the object.
- Florida Connecting to Collections 2015 Emergency Plans: Salvage Recovery Archival presented by Francoise Hack, Assistant Director of Collections, The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art.
- Florida Connecting to Collections 2012 Emergency Plans: Salvage & Recovery Objects/Textiles presented by Stephanie Hornbeck, Principal and Senior Conservator, Caryatid Conservation Services, Inc.
- Florida Connecting to Collections 2015 Emergency Plans: Salvage Recovery Objects/Sculpture presented by Rosa Lowinger, Principal and Chief Conservator, RLA Conservation, Inc.
Note: When viewing the webinars a new browser page will open.
Salvage and Recovery-A separate worksheet has been developed for this activity.
Note: When viewing the activity a new browser page will open.
Note: When viewing the samples a new browser page will open.
American Institute for Conservation (AIC), Disaster Response & Recovery National Heritage Responders
National Park Service, Conserv-O-Gram
Salvage of Water-Damaged Collections: Salvage at a Glance (2002)
Salvage at a Glance,Part I: Paper Based Collections (2002)
Salvage at a Glance,Part II: Non-Paper Based Archival Collections (2002)
Salvage at a Glance, Part III: Object Collections (2002)
Salvage at a Glance, Part IV: Natural History Collections (2003)
Salvage at a Glance, Part V: Textiles (2003)
Northeast Document Conservation Center, Preservation Leaflets
Emergency Salvage of Wet Books and Records
Freezing and Drying Wet Books and Records
Emergency Salvage of Wet Photographs
Emergency Salvage of Moldy Books and Paper
- Annual Conference
- Workshops and Webinars
- DEIA Webinar Series
- Emergency Planning & Response Webinars
- Professional Resources
- Florida Connecting to Collections Program
- Peer Coaching Program
- Mentorship Program