Policies and plans serve as the basis for all activities surrounding proper management of your institution’s collections. Without these documents, collections can often grow without restraint, or an institution might find itself with objects that have no relation to its mission. Yet policies and plans, while often grouped together, are distinct documents. Those differences should be explored before the creation or revision of a collections policy or plan.
In this module, you will learn the main differences between a policy and a plan, as well as how these documents relate to day to day procedures adopted by your institution.
Note: When viewing the webinars a new browser page will open.
During the webinar presentation, the main differences between a policy, a plan, and a procedure were explained. Once you identify the quality traits of your current institution, consider:
- Who has the ability at your institution to approve each of these three documents?
- Is it the same person for all three, or do different staff members or board members have authority to approve the three different types of documents?
- Why would approval be different for each document?
- What are the differences between a policy and a plan?
- What are the differences between a policy and a procedure?
Utilizing the game spinner have each participant take a turn at the spinner. Read the question or topic to the group and discuss among the group. Use examples from your policy or institution.
Note: When viewing the samples a new browser page will open.
- Annual Conference
- Workshops and Webinars
Collections Management Resources
Florida Connecting to Collections Program
Collections Development & Management Policies
- Guiding Documents: Policies vs. Plans
- Scope of Collections/Categories of Collections
- Acquisitions & Accessions / Deaccessions & Disposals
- Access and Use
- Collections Care and Maintenance
- Inventory & Audits
- Intellectual Property
- Educating Elected Officials
- Training and Practical Applications
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Putting Your Document Together
- 2013 Collections Mgmt & Development Policies
- Emergency Plans
- Collections Development & Management Policies
- Florida Connecting to Collections Program
- DEIA Webinars + Resources
- Emergency Planning Webinars + Resources
- Fundraising & Development Resources
- Historic Preservation Program Resources
- Marketing & Social Media Resources
- Collections Management Resources
- Peer Coaching Program
- Mentorship Program