Collections Management/Development Policies come in various formats and sizes, depending on the size of the institution. This module presents a basic outline of typical elements found in collections management policies across the country. As you complete your policy you should also focus on ways to make your policy a "living document" for your institution. By becoming a living document, your policy will take its place as one of the guiding documents of your institution.
Note: When viewing the webinars a new browser page will open.
Utilizing the Policy Writing Progress Report, as a group, analyze the progress your institution has made in regards to completing or updating your report. Use this as an opportunity to discuss goals for completion.
- What sections need to be completed?
- Who is responsible for finishing these sections?
- How can you assist with completing the sections as a team?
- Do you have goals and deadlines set to complete the policy?
- Are there sections you are struggling to complete?
- Do you need the assistance of the board or director to complete the policy?
As a group discuss the progress of your policy:
- How have you managed to complete your policy?
- How will you create/form and continue partnerships with others you have developed while working on your policy?
Utilizing the game spinner have each participant take a turn at the spinner. Read the question or topic to the group and discuss among the group. Use examples from your policy or institution.
Florida Association of Museums, Collections Mgmt & Dvlpment Policies Samples: http://www.flamuseums.org/professional-development/florida-connecting-to-collections-program/2016-collections-policies-collections-care-enhancement/collectionspolicies/collection-management-development-policies-samples/
Note: When viewing the samples a new browser page will open.
American Alliance of Museums, Developing a Collections Management Policy: http://www.aam-us.org/docs/default-source/continuum/developing-a-cmp-final.pdf?sfvrsn=4
- Annual Conference
- Workshops and Webinars
Collections Management Resources
Florida Connecting to Collections Program
Collections Development & Management Policies
- Guiding Documents: Policies vs. Plans
- Scope of Collections/Categories of Collections
- Acquisitions & Accessions / Deaccessions & Disposals
- Access and Use
- Collections Care and Maintenance
- Inventory & Audits
- Intellectual Property
- Educating Elected Officials
- Training and Practical Applications
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Putting Your Document Together
- 2013 Collections Mgmt & Development Policies
- Emergency Plans
- Collections Development & Management Policies
- Florida Connecting to Collections Program
- DEIA Webinars + Resources
- Emergency Planning Webinars + Resources
- Fundraising & Development Resources
- Historic Preservation Program Resources
- Marketing & Social Media Resources
- Collections Management Resources
- Peer Coaching Program
- Mentorship Program